Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie eVolve motor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any pro's or con's to this system. I go not want the weight of a heavy battery so I am leaning towards this but I also want to make sure the battery life is good and is consistant . Thanks for the input and help.

Post subject: Re: Hobie eVolve motor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've got one on my Pro Angler and love it! The battery will last all day long. I've had it out there for 8 hour trips before with no issues and I've even used it to tow people back to the launch when it gets too windy. I've done the other trolling motor thing and with the extra added weight it wasn't worth it. The whole eVolve kit only weighs 18lbs! Can't say enough about it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will be hard pressed to beat the overall performance of the Evolve drive that's for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Evolve on a PA is an accident waiting to happen for the serious fisherman. Hobie has not chosen to make a rear mount for the PA. This means you lose the use of the Mirage drive when using the Evolve on the PA because the engine uses the Mirage drive hole.

So far I have run up on 3 oyster bars with the Mirage drive flippers because you couldn't see them in the water. Imagine hitting 1 of those bars at full speed going with the tide which would mean about 8 mph. It would ruin the engine and tear a hole in the PA. Remember, Hobie is known for cracks around the Mirage drive. My buddy had his 4th Hobie crack just yesterday. Good luck getting back in.

Also imagine fishing in open water and a storm comes up at the end of the day and getting low on the power. Think about having to open the front hatch to take out the Mirage drive that doesn't easily fit, removing the engine from the mirage drive hole and placing it in the front hatch, closing and securing the hatch and installing the mirage drive in 20 - 30+ winds and 2-3 ft white capped seas without having water POURING into the open hatch. The only other option is to ride it out with only a paddle if you brought 1.

The Outback and the REVO have a WONDERFUL twist and stow rear mount that is great. It allows you to store it on the yak when not in use, steer easily and use the Mirage drive. Guys around here have them and they are wickedly fast when they peddle with the engine ......... but Hobie has decided not to have a rear mount for the Evolve.

The Torqeedo is the only way to get a rear mount engine like the evolve until Hobie decides to make 1. Hobie also has the perfect opportunity to make it have virtually unlimited power by getting Torqeedo make their solar charger to fit the front cover.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My guess is that memory maker does not like the evolve?
:-)
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No ......... I actually LOVE the Evolve .......... on the Outback and the Revo rear mounted. I hate the evolve on the PA because they don't have a rear mount. Here in Md we have about 1000 yakers on Maryland Kayak Fishing forum. A couple have the PA with the Evolve and some are thinking about changing because they don't have the use of the Mirage drive.

I just wish Hobie would come up with a rear mount for the PA but they don't seem inclined to do that .......... I also wish they would get Torqeedo to build a solar forward hatch cover. It should give enough power to keep a fully charged engine with enough power to last all day with 1 battery while trolling and traveling close to full speed getting there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I purchased the eVolve in Feb 2013 & used it 3 times in the Mirage Drive well on my PA 14. On the 3rd occasion (Wednesday this week), the unit failed with about 50% of the battery charge remaining. The failure mode was an E30 error (communication error between motor & throttle). I could not get the motor to restart while on the water (or on my workbench at home) following the troubleshooting intructions. I pedaled back to the launch area...no big deal as I was halfway in anyway.

I returned the motor/battery to the Hobie dealer yesterday for warranty work.
Hobie asked the dealer to send it to the Torqeedo repair location for analysis. I guess it will be a week or so before I know what went wrong.

I did like the range that the evolve offers. It does make noise. It does cause the PA 14 to shake/vibrate more than I expected.

I wish I could use the Mirage Drive pedals with it. I do remove the motor & insert the MD when I reach my fishing area so I can fish in "stealth mode".

I am in complete sympathy with Memory Maker & wish Hobie made a rear mount. There are some great homegrown solutions if you look through this forum.