Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys im fixing up a 1981 hobie 18 any good spray paints for the crossbars? i know i have to sand first too...what with 220 okay?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't sand it (or paint it, to be honest). Sanding will damage/remove the anodize which is the electro-chemical outer coating which provides corrosion protection to the aluminum.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I called Rustoleum about this and they recommended their "Universal Paint". I filled the dings and deep scratches with with epoxy and microballons, sanded lightly everywhere and then painted a couple coats with the Satin Black. It took several days to dry hard enough that my finger nail wouldn't scratch it. I then waxed with Liquid Glass auto wax, which actually removed some of the surface and made the paint semi-glossy. That's been over a year ago and they still look awesome. Here's a picture after the waxing process.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

wow!!!! They look freak'n amazing! okay thanks for the into do they sell this Rustoleum at west marine? or did you get it online?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's very tempting to try this on my crossbars even though they aren't too terribly worn...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found the paint at my local Lowes store. It's more expensive than most spray paints, at around $7 a can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey poolemarkw how did the paint hold up? I considered painting my, but i'm afraid it will wear off everywhere it gets rubbed or scratched.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aaron-hobie wrote:
Hey poolemarkw how did the paint hold up? I considered painting my, but i'm afraid it will wear off everywhere it gets rubbed or scratched.

After seeing poolemarkw's paint job I used the same Rustoleum Universal spray paint on my crossbars last spring (thanks poolemarkw!). The paint has held up very well so far but it will scratch. My front crossbar still looks brand new but I did have some issues along my rear crossbar where the Hotstick tiller handle rubs. I'm considering adding some padding to the hotstick and/or repainting and then applying Scotchguard's clear protective tape to the rear crossbar (the stuff you use along the leading edge of your car hood to protect from chips, etc). I even managed to drop my mast fairly hard on the front crossbar and all it did was scuff.

Anyways, 12-months later and I'm very pleased with the results. I've also had good luck painting my rudder assembly with flat black grill spray paint (two years with no chipping or fading whatsoever) and my faded EPO rudders with gloss black appliance (refrigerator) epoxy enamel (minor peeling on one rudder after three years; had to sand and re-shoot this spring). If you paint your rudders, just be mindful of the fit. I found out the hard way I had to leave the top 3" or so unfinished so the rudders can fit back into the castings when I was done.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As BrianCT said, the paint CAN be scratched like any other paint. I used EVA foam grip material to cover the extendable length of my hiking stick so it wouldn't scratch the crossbar when collapsed. You get the material from windsurfing shops because it's used to regrip booms, and you attach it with contact cement.