Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I could never get those little suckers to hold so I carefully got out the soldering iron and roughed up the holes. The holes are tapered to allow moulding and i built them up to a negative taper. After doing this (carefully) and sanding both the plugs and the holes they work great and can be just finger tight to stay in. Just sanding the holes and the plugs make installing them easier as well. They grip rather than spin!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I guess I'll try the roughing-up of surfaces of both hull recesses (holes) and expanding pegs first to see if that works. However I have my doubts.

No-one wants to put more holes in the hull than is necessary. However, I've been toying with the idea of drilling a hole at the bottom of the two seat peg recesses (holes), then putting a suitably sized (and fairly long) bolt through. The seat holes would fit over the top of the bolt and then secured onto the top of the bolt. (Sealant applied where the bolt passes through the hole.) With a little arm/wrist twisting, the bottom of the peg hole is accessible from the hatch to get the bolt through. See: http://www.bathrys.org.uk/hobie_seat_schematic.jpg

Grateful for any thoughts. :D

Frank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good tips on sanding the peg holes and heat shrink on the split rings, will use them, thanks! I also epoxied 3/4" pvc caps on the seat peg from inside the hull, good preventive measure to avoid cracking. Had that happen on an '09, was a tough leak to find, but simple fix.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner

I have 5 other friends all with Islands (not 2012 models) and we all have tried various fixes. The Expandable seat pegs are no silver bullet, sanding hull peg holes, scoring expandable plug ect. have met with mixed results.

What is the part numbers for the threaded factory insert and the gray seat posts.

I am determined to fix this problem and will custom cut the factory insert to fit old plug hole and 3M Scotchweld (dp1080) them into place.

Hopefully these inserts are not as big as the threaded in anchor points Hobie uses throughout the boat. Maybe they are more sized like seat scupper drain plugs?

TIA.

Roadrunner wrote:

The '12 models have a positive lock up system that works well. Unfortunately it is not a retrofit item. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am getting a TI 2012 and also ordered the seat connector kit. I just saw the post of Roadrunner that describes the new system in the 2012 model. Does that mean that the connector kit is not needed in the new models?
Thanks!
Pesan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Yakaholic on this.
Surely Hobie could provide a simple type bayonet plug that is able to be retro fitted? :?
Even if its just a glue-in type. (I understand why they would be reluctant to go for the thread cutting retro solution with the thin seat plug hole walls)
If not then I like the idea of filing the threads off and glueing/siliconing it in, so a Part# would be great Matt!
I've just used the new system on our friends 2012 TI and it is what was needed from the start. The seat is simple to fit and remains in place.

Yakaholic,
They are not the same size as the standard threaded anchor point fittings. They are much smaller.
From what I could tell the seat post holes on the 2012's look to be the standard size as all Hobie seat post holes so filing the newer inserts threads should work. :)

Pesan,
The 2012 model should have the new seat peg fittings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've successfully implemented the solution shown in my posting above of Tue Nov 8 2011 using 60mm (I think..) T5 machine screws. nb you need to use hexagonal head (not slot or cross-head) to be able to tighten from below as there's too little space to operate a screwdriver.

For 'lateral stability' I also inserted the smaller of the 2 'expanders', before liberally squirting in sealant and then capping off with another lock nut on top.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Stringy. I just told my dealer to drop the order of plug connectors. Just in time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait for the boat to arrive.

Cheers,

-Pesan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

I like the idea of removing threads and gluing the part into the boat. That should take care of our install concerns... now, what glue and how much sanding?

Parts

Twist Lock seat pegs...

81276201 TWIST LOCK SEAT ADAPTER KIT ($7.50 USD / 11-2011)
CONVERTS OLDER SEATS TO FIT A TWIST LOCK HULL
Includes 2 of each 81277001 Handle, 81245001 Roll Pin, 81276001 Twist Lock

81275001 SEAT PLUG SCREW-IN ($1.50 USD / 11-2011)
Requires 4 per seat area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt

My plans are to dremel, cut or sand the threads off the insert enough so that it fits snugly but not so much that you have to pound in the insert. Once I am happy with the fit and depth of the modified insert I will use a small amount of the 3M Scotchweld to fix it in place.

Once dry I should be able to use new twist lock seat adapter kit and be good to go.

I really do appreciate Hobie's constant improvements in the quest for perfection.

A retrofit kit would be nice but I'm happy to have the parts available so I can fix it for good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for those part numbers Matt. 8)
I'd be surprised if silicon/goop didn't work for this application and I'll try that first.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are there seats available that are elevated? When I use my AI for fishing, it would really be nice to be up higher and have a better vantage point to see what I am fishing. Thanks, Tom