Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey guys over the years my boat has been scractched alot on the bottom of the hulls down to the fibresglass. As a result last year a i sanded and did i 2part epoxy (interlux) two coats then did the brightside over it...it held up okay except around the dagger board slots and where the hulls touch the sand/pebbles and launching ramp. So this year i was thinking to put some filler on the bottom and re gel both hulls and deck as the boat is old and i have to do something about the bottom. My friend says to use the 2part again though and do more coats....not sure what to do?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yikes! Thats gonna be a heavy boat. Just run a roll of cloth fiberglass along the bottom and call it quits. 2" should do it, maybe a bit wider. Use polyester resin and if you are really concerned about color, mix the resin with coloring agent (expensive)- white plus your color.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You may be stuck using epoxy again, my understanding is that once you go epoxy, you can't go back. Unless of course you grind off all of your previous work. Gelcoat and glass work isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The previous owner let my boat sit on a marsh, so my bottom is a little beat up. No pun intended. But he also went over it with some sort of resin. The surface resin has since cracked. He painted it on with a brush and it seems to be a light coat. Is my best bet to sand it all off and replace it with a strip of glass cloth?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brian_484 wrote:
The previous owner let my boat sit on a marsh, so my bottom is a little beat up. No pun intended. But he also went over it with some sort of resin. The surface resin has since cracked. He painted it on with a brush and it seems to be a light coat. Is my best bet to sand it all off and replace it with a strip of glass cloth?

If it's resin over gelcoat... it should come off, if it's polyester resin over worn glass then it was done poorly, when done right... the new layers should be chemically fused to the lower layers. Even if it weren't some sort of mystery resin, you should remove material that is cracked and flaking off until you get to some solid or more secure material. There are a bunch of threads that will agree, do the prep work right! Mixing some resin and slapping it isn't the hard part of fiberglass, it's preparing it and finishing it that most DIYs botch.

Tom

H18 ('85)
H20 ('97)
H18 ('78)