Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoisting Tandem Island
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just purchased a Tandem Island which will be stored on top of our Hatteras boat. We have a davit that is used for hoisting boats to the flybridge deck and the question is can the boat be hoisted using the Akas with out damage? After reading through the fourms I am also a little concerned with deformation from the summer sun here in Florida as the boat will be stored outside at all times. We do plan on using a cover but that will probably add to the heat factor.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

CapnDan

I hoist my TI regularly. In my case it gets lifted from the ground to the roof of my Jeep, where it lives when it is not being used. Once hoisted and stowed the hull is supported at four points, three of which are Hobie saddles.

I do not hoist it by the akas. Instead I hoist it using the Hobie beach cart with its handle and tires removed. Actually, I remove the tires and their axles, then I replace the axles with another set of axles that have eye bolts fastened to the ends for the lifting tackle.

If you are interested search under "Car Topping a TI". I believe my original post was June 17, 2012. A later post included photos. I see no reason why this hoist could not be done to your flybridge so long as you include tag lines, bow and stern, and manage the movement of the TI as it is being hoisted. Also, make sure the hull is dry before lifting or it might be heavy enough to over stress the boat or saddles. Alternatively, you could raise/lower the boat on its support cradle which then gets fastened to you boat. This might be simpler than controlling the boats movement, especially if you do not have a crew helping.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I looked at you post and thats quite the set up. My issue is the TI will be coming right out of the water so trying to hook gear to the underside of the boat while its in the water might not be so easy. If the akas are not capable of handeling the weight I might have to look at a sling of some sort. Even a sling won't be easy to secure while the boats bobbing in the water.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A picture of the davit and where I'm hoisting to. The AI will store where the Whaler currently is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would feel comfortable lifting by the akas using a four point harness.

I would make a cradle that supports the hull under each aka and supports the amas. They should be at least four, preferably six, inches wide. Also, support the bow and stern. Be careful not to over tighten the tie downs.

Cheers,

J

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, that's a classic! 74'?

Dan, looks like you're going to need some extra help swinging that in! :mrgreen: Standing by for your call.

A couple lifting bars with straps on the Aka crossbars would be the way to go. Amas folded and really secured. Can you put Hobie cradles onboard to store her?

At 19', in the wind on a rocking boat you might also need a bow/stern line on the TI to keep it pointed the right way, while in the air.

I can do that part,.. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Whaler can be a challange swinging in because it makes the boat heel towards the lift. A line on the front of the boat makes it workable to pull aboard. I don't anticipate that problem with the TI as it is much lighter but a bow rope will be a must to control swinging. Hey we will take all the help we can get! The big boat gives new meaning to the word maintenance! :lol:
I was thinking about the PVC pipe trick talked about here on the exsisting boat cradle for support. Has anyone tried storing the boat on its side? It seems the sides might be stiffer and less prone to deforming. Looking forward to anchoring out and getting some sailing in.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'd be paying maintenance on a house anyway. The real pain must be filling her up!

The TI stores great on its side, but the hull only, (and only on terra firma) so if you need to disassemble, you might as well flip her all the way onto the gunwales. That's a sure bet not to warp things on the exposed flydeck.

You could keep her intact and go with Hobie saddles, mounted low on the deck to an anchored alum frame. Just put an air mattress, throw pillows or pool noodles under a few other spots to distribute the load. Or try to build something similar on top of the existing Whaler bunk.

The only trick is going to be dropping it square on the cradles every time! (That TI is just as long as your ship is wide!) Probably gets easier after a couple martinis, eh?

Did I mention I mix a mean Martini? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're such a tart NOHUHU! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're on the right track, mate but I prefer to be called a shameless "cabanaboy". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When we had our Oasis (this goes back a while) I injured my back trying to lift it onto the car roof of our Yukon (I'm in my 60's and not a big guy). It took about a yr for everything to heal up so we were out of action ( I couldn't lift). I made a jib crane that mounts into the trailer hitch to lift the kayaks on top of the car until my back got better. When we got our TI, I got it out of storage and used it to lift the TI on top of the car a couple times and it worked fine, unfortunately rigging it and getting everything ready turned out to be much more time consuming that just lifting the front of the boat up onto the T-bar and sliding it on for me so the jib crane went back in the garage (at least until I hurt my back again LOL).
To lift the TI I used four pieces of 1 inch strapping wrapped around the 2 forward and the two rear AKA braces that attach to the hull, all 4 were slung onto the hook. I found the balance point by adjusting the length of the straps, if I recall the balance point was not on center. If doing it often I would make custom length strap sets or ropes that are only used for lifting with a lift ring in the center (you likely already have something similar on your other boat). I used the 800 lb 1 inch nylon strapping because I had it on hand. If I were to make a custom rig for just lifting the TI I would start with a 3-4 inch lifting ring, 4 stainless clips, and about 20 ft of 1/4 inch quality dock line. I would tie a clip to the end of each dock line, then wrap it around the AKA bar just outside of the hull brace (4 would be required), then clip to the rope to itself by looping around the AKA bar onto itself, alternately you could just loop back to the lifting ring and clip the clips to the lifting ring (double rope). I would then find the lifting balance point (trial and error), then tie the ropes to the lifting ring and trim to the correct length (you should never need to adjust the lines again). The rigging would stay with the Davit/crane when the TI is out on the water. When you want to lift the boat you just lower the crane, clip 4 clips then lift away. When on deck just leave the 4 clips attached and cover the whole works with a light colored tarp or cover(like you currently do). I tied a control line to the stern in my case to control the boat while in the air. It all worked quite well for me and in my opinion would be the most practical and secure way to lift a TI using a davit or jib crane. When mounting on the deck it's best to have at least 3 or 4 big conforming contact points spread as far apart as possible to support the boat. We have kept our Kayaks and TI's on top of our car strapped down for as long as 3-4 months at a time when we travel (with no covers), and didn't have any issues, as long as you have enough contact points. I'm not suggesting to leave the TI uncovered when storing on deck, it's just in our case it would have been pretty hard to cover our Kayaks when traveling on the highways.
Hope this helps you
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
We have kept our Kayaks and TI's on top of our car strapped down for as long as 3-4 months at a time when we travel (with no covers), and didn't have any issues,..Bob
Except for needing an whole new roof! :lol: But that's another thread.

Good ideas from Bob. If I owned a real yacht in Florida, I'd swing by on the weekend and kidnap him, for some free engineering help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU:
Good point I should have said no problems "except a very minor setback, keeping kayaks on your roof totally destroys your car completely".

Actually I took my Yukon Denali into the dealer on Monday, for them to completely replace the rusted out roof with a new one (under warranty). They will have the vehicle for two full weeks.
Guess what kind of vehicle they gave me to drive for the two weeks, yep the same type ( A Grey 2012 Chevy Suburban). I was figuring during this time I wouldn't be able to take my TI out. It turns out the TI fits on the suburban just fine (ha ha), looks like I might be going out this weekend after all.
In about 3 months look thru the Sarasota want ads, if there is a Grey 2012 Suburban on there cheap, you know where it came from ( LOL). In the mean time I might have to break down and get a trailer and make it work somehow.
I'm thinking about writing a book "How to totally destroy a $70k+ vehicle in a year" :lol:
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob
Sounds like a great idea. The TI arrived today and we experimenting lifting just the hull. The akas are way out of CG for that lift however the grab handles did a pretty good job. We are debating the hold factor on the handles but that's what they were designed for only with human power.
On another note one ama arrived with some wicked looking dents in it. Both sides are pushed in to the point it raised the top and bottom of the ama. There was no external box damage nor are there dings or heavy scratches on it. Nothing else in the box showed any sign of stress. I laid it in 88 degree heat and nothing budged. Looks like it will be a shipping claim unless anyone has another approach to try
What about storing one of these on top of a car destroys the roof or am I missing a prior joke?
We are just south of Englewood and use to be docked up at Twin Dolphins in Bradenton. Were in Sarasota all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is so awesome!!! :shock: Looks like super heat and then suction was applied!

Just one like that?

You can deform the red Ama plastic and reset it's memory with a surface temp of around 140º (using some positive pressure in the hull), but that is so not worth it here! And yellow will be harder to heat naturally.

Best shipping insurance claim I ever saw though. Congrats. We see some good ones out here.

I hope you won't have to sail with that thing all Kapakahi, while your dealer and shipper fight over the claim.