Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The other side to that story

Maybe the truck went through a black hole or something. I sure can't figure out what the heck would have deformed it so bad without having the box look really messed up?

The other ama and everything else is perfect. It was packaged very well.

just the award I wanted too :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CapnDan:
Sorry about the off topic stuff about my car roof from another thread, yes I actually did destroy my Denali car topping my TI.
You obviously have a shipping claim and/or something to work out with the dealer. It will take a while to get a new AMA shipped, in the mean time you won't be able to use the boat. Once the new AMA is on order, and on it's way, and if Hobie and the dealer are ok with you repairing this AMA enough so it is usable short term ( it won't look pretty). I think it can be fixed up enough to use for the couple weeks it's going to take to get the new one in. Hobie produced a video on how to repair this kind of damage using a vacuum cleaner or air pump (to provide pressure) then pouring hot water over the hull to soften the plastic around the dent so it blows back out. Of course this dent is too severe, and impossible to fix perfect. But it might be able to be repaired enough to use for a few weeks. No guarantees , if your dealer is not willing to try to repair it, and if you don't feel comfortable attempting it yourself. As long as it's ok with Hobie to try, if you want to bring it over to my place, I can try to help you fix it ( it will cost a couple beers lol). I'm a plastics engineer and master craftsman so this kind of stuff is very easy for me, plus I have a steamer which works great on repairing hulls, I've repaired several kayak hulls but never anything so severe.
That repair video was posted somewhere on this forum about 3-6 months ago, and it's pretty impressive what they can do.
If you bought the TI from Economy tackle in Sarasota, those guys are awesome and highly skilled, they could likely fix it up at least enough to use short term as well. It's pretty likely any Hobie dealer has the know how ( Hobie has pretty high standards for their dealers)
In the past Hobie has allowed me to continue to use damaged stuff, while the replacement parts were on route. Hobie really is Awesome as a company.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is the video on how to repair your kayak ( mentioned above)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome, just awesome!

Check to see if your Amas are bowed/curved as well. That's a more common complaint on new TI's. And easier to remedy yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the offer for help Bob. Having a compressor on my port engine I fired it up and put some air in the ama through the drain plug. Dents disappeared. Removed the air and they returned but no where near as bad. I put the air back in followed by the drain plug with the air still in and will let it bake in the sun for a day or two. The shape is perfect with the air in it so here is hoping.
I bought this through Red River Sports in Colorado. It was advertised as a demo but it arrived with everything wrapped and tagged as if unused. $800 under the current price and no sales tax so far. I will let them continue with the claim and see what happens. I was a Hobie and AMF dealer in the 90's and Hobie was a great company to work with.
Thanks for the link to the repair
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nohuhu

We are a 1985 61MY

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochures ... B-0784.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How's your parallel parking with that thing? :lol:

Dan, I'll be looking forward to seeing your adventures with your new yacht and flying TI tender. Would make for an an interesting thread.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am a real good "docker" as long as the wind and current aren't to strong. Put those two together
and it can be a bit challenging. You don't put you hand out to grab the dock with this one.
The ama is holding it shape. I left air in because I see no harm in it.
I have been lifting with the side handles and so far so good. When I had the boat of the
aft deck I used the davit to take a little weight off the bottom and that worked well.
We did our first sail today to Stump Pass and the TI is now wife and dog approved.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The swim platform makes getting on and off a breeze.
The "Bob" inspired harness currently just stays with the boat.
Four pieces of rope, four snap hooks and two rings.
I see Hobie recommends straps over two inches wide so I will probably
work in that direction once I have a few lifts in to see what works good and what
doesn't.