Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

During my 3rd time out yesterday with the motor running in the mirage drive of my PA 14 , the display showed E30: Motor communication errror. Couldn't get it to work again while on the water so pedaled home & recharged batttery overnight to 100%.

In the morning, I connected the battery directly to the throttle & the motor & tried again...same E30.

1. The motor cable's plug-in conncetions are fine...no bent pins, no corrosion; still covered with dielectric grease & look shiny/brand new.

2. The motor cable itself is fine ... both on the boat & directly connected on my workbench.

3. The Troubleshooting and Care Instrctions also call for checking the fuse "on the underside of the batttery" ... but I can't find such a fuse or even a fuse compartment.
And it looks like the bottom of the battery case is sealed with special screws that need special tools to remove...so I haven't done that so as not to void any warranties.

Anybody have any insight on this?

I have contacted my Hobie dealer to initiate warranty process, but I know that I will probably be without a functioning motor for a while. Right in the beginning of prime fishing here!

Appreciate any user experience/feedback...Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No response from Hobie or from Hobie dealer. I think I have no option but to return the eVolve to the dealer & get my money back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Fyi... Hobie staff does not monitor all posts in our "user" forums, so always best to contact a dealer or email [email protected] (USA) or the appropriate contact for your region.

I was directed to your post today... Hopefully you have received feedback from your dealer or from our technical / warranty team by now.

I am contacting Torqeedo to determine the corrective measure. I'll respond when I get the information.

1-815-444-8806 / [email protected]

The 403 manual states: E30 Motor communication error Check the motor cable’s plug-in connection. Check the motor cable for damage.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Torqeedo service returned my call.

403 version batteries (eVolve v2) does not have a fuse that is accessible. They indicated all of the tests that you appear to have completed. Possibly a damaged / bad cable or broken pin.

Contact them direct for warranty service: [email protected]

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,
Thanks for your interest & actions so far, but since I did not hear from Hobie, I contacted Torqeedo directly. Sven, of Torqedo, advised to return the motor, throttle & battery to my Hobie dealer which I did. My Hovie dealer advised they returned the motor & battery to the Torqeedo repair center. They tell me it may take two weeks for them to analyze the problem. I am waiting to hear from them.

I have been told this is the correct warranty procedure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

FYI....Preliminary report from Torqeedo (via Hobie) rep is that di-electric grease caused the E30 communication error. They (Torqeedo) suggest using WD40 for cleaning/corrosion protection.

Comments?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

They should know... Did you add the grease?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got the motor back yesterday from the Hobie dealer & gave it a test run. No problems.

Yes, I added the di-electric grease to help prevent salt water corrosion issues. Torqeedo said that di-electric grease is non-conductive.

It is hard for me to imagine that a little grease in the 8 pin screw-in connector can cause this type of problem as the pins in the connectors are small & MUST make some sort of mechanical contact. So I am led to believe that even a very small coating of di-electric grease on the pins can lead to non contact & therefore the E30 communication error between battery/printed circuit board & the throttle.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

The Torqeedo system / software is sensitive to voltage and current issues. While the connection may be "good", the software may be reporting an error due to more resistance or something. I'm no electrician, but early-on we had issues because our cables were longer than theirs. That caused a longer delay for current along the length so the software had to be updated. It is sophisticated and helps to optimize performance as well as protect the motor for damage by shutting down in unusual situations.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)