Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Put me in the mesh camp as well...especially the bias cut non cluttered tramp... VERY comfy sailing and no lost beer/flip flops/tools/sunscreen/dragging sheets in the water and extra lacing ( not a biggie if you're a pro sailor and race a lot )

Tim

On an off note... Microsoft if going to make millions of new MAC users with Win 8, It totally sucks. Glad I only have to deal with a PC once in a blue moon to play a vid game once in a while. OSX is simple, works 100% of the time and gets even better with every release... My $0.02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer, if you still haven't made up your mind, add me to the list of people telling you how great mesh tramps are. Water spraying up through the tramp on a hot day is amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I feel like a Chameleon walking across a plaid piece of cloth!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone make mesh tramps for the Hobie Island Series?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is from a previous post but for me, it's mesh all the way and I've had both. The reason is because of what everyone else has said . . . . plus, I believe a mesh lowers the propensity to capsize. It doesn't act like another sail but allows the wind to blow through it as opposed to against it. I have capsized a lot less with the mesh !!! It also has a better grip !!! Just my take !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

David

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fxloop wrote:
Put me in the mesh camp as well...especially the bias cut non cluttered tramp... VERY comfy sailing and no lost beer/flip flops/tools/sunscreen/dragging sheets in the water and extra lacing ( not a biggie if you're a pro sailor and race a lot )

Tim

I've never been able to bring myself to like those tramps. They sure look good, but theyre just so slippery. I just hate not having a place to brace my feet on while sheeting in the main(the go to foot brace for me with a bias cut tramp usually ends up being the blocks themselves, it's not too comfortable)

So, OP, I guess you have a choice to make between types of mesh tramps if you end up getting one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CherokeeSailor wrote:
Fxloop wrote:

Tim

I've never been able to bring myself to like those tramps. They sure look good, but theyre just so slippery. I just hate not having a place to brace my feet on while sheeting in the main(the go to foot brace for me with a bias cut tramp usually ends up being the blocks themselves, it's not too comfortable)

So, OP, I guess you have a choice to make between types of mesh tramps if you end up getting one.

Choice simple. Hobie Mesh or Hobie Vinyl!!!! No other choices! So, which one!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm pretty sure you can find one or maybe two opinions if you scroll up a ways... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need a replacement tramp for my 1989 Hobie cat 16. Anyone have some good sources for both mesh and vinyl tramps? I don't mind paying top dollar, but if I can save some money by buying after market w/o quality loss, that's fine.
Many Thanks :?:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The tramp below IS a mesh tramp with the same hiking straps that you would find on the vinyl. It's actually less slippery than the vinyl because of the grooved finish. I've used both and I'm deffinitely more comfortable with the mesh.

Plus, there's the capsize factor. Wind blows right through a mesh where a vinyl tramp catches the wind like a sail !!! :roll:

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CherokeeSailor wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can find one or maybe two opinions if you scroll up a ways... :lol:

I've already been in contact. Great guy!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Broke Down and bought the Mesh - Turq.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pegleg wrote:
I need a replacement tramp for my 1989 Hobie cat 16. Anyone have some good sources for both mesh and vinyl tramps? I don't mind paying top dollar, but if I can save some money by buying after market w/o quality loss, that's fine.
Many Thanks :?:
I've been using an aftermarket "Amish" mesh tramp for several years. The quality is pretty good but still there are drawbacks. The hiking straps are so tight I can hardly get my foot under them and I'm afraid of getting caught and twisting my knee in a capsize. The storage pockets are outboard near the side rail where your crew would normally sit so they are pretty useless. The Hobie mesh is a mono-filament meaning it won't run or unravel whereas mine is a mesh weave where the potential is there even though it hasn't happened. Basically you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Will never go back to vinyl - too slippery and hard on the knees - Mesh IS AWESOME!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
Broke Down and bought the Mesh - Turq.

You won't be sorry !!! :)

David