Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Lowrance documentation says I need a fuse that is not included but does not instruct me on what parts to use. It has a tube which attaches the main fishing finder wiring to the battery wiring; it doesn't look like this tube opens.

Anyone mind sharing their install experience and what parts you needed? I also bought the full fish finder kit $102 from the dealer, but found out theres a cheaper one for $56 which should provide more than enough juice for the unit. Anyone have the Hobie Full Fish Finder install kit and willing to share your thoughts on it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe the tube you are talking about is actually a filter and from what I have gathered, does not need to be installed unless you will be running a vhf radio in the boat. At least that is what the guy at lowrance told me. You just need to get to your local hardware store and explain that you need to insert a 3 amp fuse between the hot wire on your power supply and your battery. A wired fuse holder and a couple of the correct size wire connectors should do the job. Not much to it and I'm not exactly an electrical whiz. With that said, I have yet to try mine out but am pretty sure I got it right and hope to find out this week. Just got the wiring ran into the boat a couple of weeks ago but hit another cold front. Good luck! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info. Got a water resistant inline fuse at West Marine and rigged it between the Lowrance Filter and the Hobie battery wiring. I decided to keep the Hobie Full Size battery kit, it's an overkill for the Elite 4x DSI but I liked the waterproof design and the plugs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where do I find the instructions for the 72020070 Fishfinder Install Kit. I would like to know the method needed to crimp the orange wire connectors. What is the single black connector used for?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:17 am 
Site Admin

The FFII kit has similar connectors, so maybe you can see what you need here: http://static.hobiecat.com/web_uploads/2013/06/27/72020039.pdf

Unfortunately, there is no instruction for the FFIII yet. In the works, but aside from the transducer part... very similar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)