Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Selecting a Fly Reel
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This week I've had a couple friends ask for advice on buying a fly fishing reel. See my latest blog entry for some advice on getting started.
http://icastinayak.com/2013/04/13/selecting-a-fly-reel.aspx

Mobile Bay Area of Gulf Coast

Post subject: Re: Selecting a Fly Reel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've always wanted to try fly fishing, but since I have a Revo11, I cannot stand in my kayak. Not sure how effective I could cast in a seated position, though I don't have a problem with a spinning reel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello jcanracer,

Good news for you! I wrote an article on the topic last year in a newsletter. Above the article I'm pictured in a Revo 13. No problem really. Think of it in comparison to a wading angler in the same body of water...advantage to fly fisherman in kayak due to options to fish deeper and yet maintain same dimension from axis of shoulder to surface of water. The wading angler's dimension becomes less and less until they can't fish any longer. A kayaker's never does. We fly fish wading in streams all the time and stand in water with same clearance virtually, as sitting in a kayak.

Here's link to article: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=1255c39b48d8b52cfdead06ce&id=6bf75a7184&e=5b41421ad6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you stand, you lose the ability to move and steer the kayak. You'd find the Revo offers a perfect platform for fly fishing - a rod hand, another hand on the tiller and your feet on the MD. You can motivate, steer and cast, all at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice write-up Aaron, and good points Tom.
Do you guys find the pedals interfering when you're stripping line? you know like the line might tangle with the pedals?
I'm keen to try when I have some disposable income to buy another rod/reel combo. I was mackerel fishing this weekend (report to follow in another thread) and I was thinking to myself, these little guys would be so much fun on an ultralight setup or fly fishing setup.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The tackle box lid on Revo is a nice surface to strip fly line onto. Line can either be stripped in front of seat or strip along beside leg, and it will find the same flat surface. Occasionally it will slide down into the MD area, but not often as the plane of surface isn't angled into the MD hole on Revo. I never have felt it to be a big enough problem to lay a towel down, but I've heard of anglers doing that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all! I know I'm new but I wanted to interject because I love to fly fish out of my kayak. I'm here in Indiana in an Outback fishing freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers. I concur with Aaron that there is no need to stand while casting. I find casting while sitting in my yak quite comfortable, simply because I don't have to be concerned about footing. I love to wade as well but being concerned about my next step while wading is always foremost on my mind. In the kayak none of that is even a thought so I can solely concentrate on my cast and presentation. Aaron is also correct about consistency of casting at a constant elevation off of the water. To me, fly casting is about rhythm. Sitting at a constant elevation certainly helps with consistent casting particularly when you're pinpoint casting.

As far as line stripping, I'll be honest, I like to sit side saddle and just strip into the water. I have Hobie's I-Comfort pad which elevates me a little so I can sit comfortably. Even sitting proper, stripping line on to the deck has not been problem. I'll just say that it's so easy to fly fish off of the Hobie that I always have my fly rig with me. I recommend it!

On a side note, I like to fly fish for bluegill in the strip pits of Linton, Indiana with a 4 wt rig, and for smallmouth on the White River with a 6 wt. here in Indianapolis. My favorite fishing though, is throwing frogs on braided line with a heavy rig. I just picked up some awesome frog fly presentations but am concerned my 6 wt. is not stout enough. Might be time for an 8 wt.

Anyway, I loves Hobie's forum even though most probably fish saltwater. Regardless, I look forward to chatting with you all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard IndyYakr!
So if I were to guess, based on your post, an 8wt sounds like it would be more suitable to the saltwater and brackish water species I target: small spanish mackerel, trout, snook, and eventually redfish if I ever get the chance. Does that sound about right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jcanracer wrote:
Welcome aboard IndyYakr!
So if I were to guess, based on your post, an 8wt sounds like it would be more suitable to the saltwater and brackish water species I target: small spanish mackerel, trout, snook, and eventually redfish if I ever get the chance. Does that sound about right?

Thanks, JC! Of course, I'm strictly freshwater but if the fish you are targeting tend to dart for heavy cover when hooked up, I would think an 8 wt. would be minimum. My local Orvis guy recommends an 8 wt. even for standard largemouth bass fishing. I've had no trouble with the 6. Of course, it depends on the size of the bait you're casting. My favorite fishing is throwing Spro frogs on my GLoomis froggin rod with 65 lb braid into mats and lily pads. As soon as I set the hook (if I don't miss which I often do) I have to immediately get the fishes head up and out of the water and non-stop reel dragging her up on the mats to the boat. if I'm late, sometimes I may have to dig her out. I can't imagine doing this with my 6 wt. fly rod. I'm going to look into getting an 8 wt. and I'll keep you informed. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say those species fit the bill for "bite and dart" haha.
On my regular light spinning gear (12#mono) I target them with 1/4oz or 1/2oz Spro bucktail jigs. When I was cleaning the mackerel the other day I saw some of the bait they ingest: little white/silver baitfish which look like they could be easily mimicked by fly lures. This is what has recently sparked my interest in learning fly fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome IndyYakr! jcanracer: 8 wt would be a good choice for near offshore species. I like the TFO Axiom 8 wt as it is a fast action for large flies and it casts intermediate sink tip line well. I would recommend the Royal Wulff 8 wt Lost Tip Intermediate sink tip line for near offshore. The intermediate line will get your fly down faster and the action will be less apt to be interrupted by waves because last few feet of line will be beneath surface. The 8 wt should handle a lot of the fish you will catch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Decades ago when my Dad started on my fly fishing journey, he understated the fly line problem re your line will find things to snag on or wrap around.

The good news with the two handed Spey and Switch rods, is the ability to cast from 50' to over a 100'.

The bad news is that leaves a lot of line to try to manage and keep out of trouble.

There is a simple and fairly low cost way to handle your fly line in a Yak, a fishing boat, on the shore or while wading.

Wm Joseph makes a simple to use and great folding belt line management system:

http://robdee.hubpages.com/hub/Gear-Rev ... ing-Basket

Gear Review - William Joseph Stripping Basket

One thing that every salt water fly angler knows is the importance of line management. My tarpon buddies have told me about hooking a fish and having it run all the while the line gets snagged on a boat cleat or sandal buckle losing the fish. One necessary tool in helping with line management is a good stripping basket but some anglers shy away from them since a lot of the products on the market tend to be bulky and cumbersome. Of course one could make and adequate basket with a bungee cord and small trash can, but these can get in the way too. i wanted something that i could use when i needed it and not have it take up space or get in the way when i didn't need it.

Enter the William Joseph Stripping Basket/Wading Belt!

This product isn't just a stripping basket, but for folks who wear waders in the winter, it doubles as a wading belt.

It tucks away nicely when closed and is a roomy basket to strip into when open and a wire guided rim for easy open and closing.

The basket itself is made of lightweight mesh.

Easily adjustable to fit folks of large or small and featuring the same grooved backing for ventilation found on quality backpacks, the workmanship is top notch and what you would expect from William Joseph. The snap fastener is user friendly but difficult to close behind your back.

Another nice part about this belt/basket is the "daisy chain" utility loops to attach tools to.

Bottom line: i would rate this product 4 out of 5 fish stars. The only things that i don't like about it are that there aren't any "detanglers" at the bottom of the basket that you might find on another product and i found that my line would come out in wads when casting, however, stretching your line before you begin greatly reduces this problem for anything greater than a 6 weight. Also, at $36.00, the price was quite a bit more than your average bulky stripping basket.....but i suppose you can't always put a price limit on small luxuries.

This Hub was last updated on July 26, 2009

Jcanracer wrote:
Nice write-up Aaron, and good points Tom.
Do you guys find the pedals interfering when you're stripping line? you know like the line might tangle with the pedals?

I'm keen to try when I have some disposable income to buy another rod/reel combo. I was mackerel fishing this weekend (report to follow in another thread) and I was thinking to myself, these little guys would be so much fun on an ultralight setup or fly fishing setup.
[url][/url]