Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have read most of the post on the backrest and know you are not suppose to sit on them, but was wondering from you guys that have them what happens when a gust of wind comes up and you sit back onto them grab the shroud and hike out? Are they tough enough to take it. For you dealers out there have you repaired many of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We've not repaired any Wave backrests. But then we've only sold a few pair of them in the 5 years I've been at Mariner.

Personally, I don't like them. I think they limit your ability to hike out.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:30 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I've not repaired any and only installed/sold about 10 in the 9 years i've been doing this. They are nice on a clam day, I could see where on a windy day they could be in the way, but hey that why you but the q/r pins for them so they can be taken off!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sunjammers wrote:
I've not repaired any and only installed/sold about 10 in the 9 years i've been doing this. They are nice on a clam day, I could see where on a windy day they could be in the way, but hey that why you but the q/r pins for them so they can be taken off!
Yup. I take mine off it is really blowing. Very easy to remove. Actually, rarely do I feel the need to remove them though. Very practical for the family.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The back rests are great on a calm day and in particular when kids are on board, can get in the way when hiking is required and makes it difficult to board the boat from the sides. When you consider that the cross bar tiller makes it difficult to board from the stern you are basically left with no option but to board from the bow.

My back are held in place using 4 mast head pins. Unfortunately the alignment of the holes in the hulls never seem to match the holes drilled in the cross members - this is very frustrating. Does anyone know if there are alternative ways of fixing the rests to the hulls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

KenM wrote:
My back are held in place using 4 mast head pins. Unfortunately the alignment of the holes in the hulls never seem to match the holes drilled in the cross members - this is very frustrating. Does anyone know if there are alternative ways of fixing the rests to the hulls?
Sounds like your holes may have been drilled w/o something being seated properly, crossbars to hull, or backrests not all the way in. I would try seating everything tight, then re-drill thru the same holes. The pins should go in easy after that, perhaps too easy. A little slop is ok. But with that said, it is a good idea to get some 1/8" shockcord and tie the pins around the backrest tubing, the tension will then keep the pins in place nicely. In fact, I would recommend doing the latter even if your pins fit/install nice and tight. They do have a have a way of working themselves out, and need to be pushed back in after every sail.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For what it's worth:

When I first bought my WAVE, a year ago, I was convinced that I wanted the backrests...maybe because the girl in the bikinin. leaning against it in the catalogue, is soooo cute, dunno. The hefty price tag gave me pause, though.

After some great days of hiking out and hull flying, doing somewhere between 15 and 20 mph, slapping alongside wave runners and jet skis, and chortling, screaming, and laughing like a happily deranged maniac, I have come to the conclusion that I don't see me ever getting the back rests, now, cute catalogue girl or not.

The thought of having to tack back up the harbor to drop off the backrests and then get back out to open ocean would probably take too much time and I'd wind up losing out on the peak conditions of the day.

Once you've flown a hull, there's no going back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok. It all depends on your situation. I keep my Wave at my local lake, at in-law's cottage. I can easily go in and drop off the rests if cond. warrant.
My wife will not go out with me without them, she HAS TO have some back support. And with small kids they increase security immensly. The rests also make for very leisurely sailing when winds are lighter (most common on this little lake).

Now, last weekend winds were pretty crazy, very gusty, ranging from 20 to 30mph! (according to national weather service history data). Traveller saved me there, but I digress. I should have taken the rests off, but managed to stay on two hulls. Attempting to fly with those conditions is definility an invitation to swim!

But as far as that goes, I have flown a hull many times with the rests on, although I will admit it is easier to keep control when flying without them.

Getting to the meat of the original post, I have really never been tempted to try to sit on the rests. And I only weigh ~150. I think it would be OK for a child to do it, say <100lbs, but I heed the warnings as I don't want to bend or damage them. To be honest, unless you have really steady strong winds, sitting on them would put much weight out, much more so than hiking alone. I have read posts where people do regularly sit on them, one I recall was 160lbs and does it all the time. I think the biggest risk is distorting the attachment point, or bending them if seated towards the middle. They were simply not designed to support the full weight of someone sitting directly on them.

Now, here is a thought. Hobie sells a trap kit for the Wave. While I don't believe an adult would ever feel the need to trap out on a Wave, if you had the kit, and adjusted it to take your weight when seated on rests, then that might be an interestng option.

2007 Hobie Wave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wannahobie wrote:
My wife will not go out with me without them, she HAS TO have some back support. And with small kids they increase security immensly. The rests also make for very leisurely sailing when winds are lighter (most common on this little lake).

My wife always wants back support also, and I liked Corey's seat design, but it doesn't exactly work for a Club Wave. So I started keeping an eye on stadium seats at Wal-Mart, etc... that could be adapted to the task. I found one in the close-out aisle at Walgreen's called a "My-Pod" for $7.95, and thought I'd give it a try.

It's kind of an oval shape when laid flat, then the back bends up to leave a round seat. It has a metal frame, with a ratchet hinge, and is very sturdy. I thought it would need a tether to keep it from rocking backwards (Wife overboard! :o ), but the design makes it stable. She loves it; and without the tether, she can move it around, sit on the tramp (there are no corners or sharp edges), sit facing forward, sit up front facing backwards (to make faces at me :lol: ), whatever. And when you're not using it, it folds flat, about 1" thick, for easy storage.

I googled My Pod Beach Chair, and found it through lots of sources, but prices all over the place, from $15 to $50.

Not a commercial, but a recommendation if you need back support.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, Indy, that sounds pretty cool.

I've seen some stadium seats sometimes at the sports shops and naturally, thought of trying one or more.

Thanks for the R & D!

Say it SOFT and it's almost like praying.....
I just sailed my WAVE out the Marina !"
West Coast Story

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Backrests are the way to go on a Wave. I've owned all kinds of Hobie's over the years. We take our Wave offshore at Charleston and sail down to the lighthouse at Folly Beach with our backrests on. In pitching waves and 15-25 knot winds. It's total nonsense to think you can't hike out and keep your boat upright when using these.

I wouldn't have a Wave without them. Greatest thing about the Wave in my 39 years of sailing. And that might be the problem. I know how to keep catamarans from turning over. I think people that say you shouldn't use backrests on a windy day lack enough experience when it starts to blow.

I've heard these argument for years about the backrests. The backrest turn your Wave into a floating lounge chair. I'd race with em, and beat you. They're also a safety feature for kids and adults.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll have to agree on that point, especially in relation to family sailing.

I purchased the backrests with the boat originally and I still remember (while out on a sail) mentioning to my wife that the backrests were an option. Her reply, while leaning back on one: "an option???!!! an option???!!!" She couldn't even conceive of the boat being offered without them.

The boat appears made for them (and vice versa).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MARCOBOWOW wrote:
Backrests are the way to go on a Wave. I've owned all kinds of Hobie's over the years. We take our Wave offshore at Charleston and sail down to the lighthouse at Folly Beach with our backrests on. In pitching waves and 15-25 knot winds. It's total nonsense to think you can't hike out and keep your boat upright when using these.

I wouldn't have a Wave without them. Greatest thing about the Wave in my 39 years of sailing. And that might be the problem. I know how to keep catamarans from turning over. I think people that say you shouldn't use backrests on a windy day lack enough experience when it starts to blow.

I've heard these argument for years about the backrests. The backrest turn your Wave into a floating lounge chair. I'd race with em, and beat you. They're also a safety feature for kids and adults.
If you race me with the backrest on your Wave, you would lose the race big time!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvqwipo0qUE[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great video, Great job. I wish I had a video of the time I did 17 with my backrests. :lol:
I may have gone that fast, not sure. You make it look easy. Truthfully, when I wanted to fly a hull and my wife wasn't onboard, I'd take the backrests off.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Creative wrote:
If you race me with the backrest on your Wave, you would lose the race big time!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvqwipo0qUE[/youtube]

That is just reaching for top speed. Nothing wrong with that...it just isn't "racing".

Racing is around a course that includes all points of sail, and has other boats in the way that you have to deal with.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)