Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: repairs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently acquired an '84 Hobie Holder 12 that's a bit waterlogged--sounds familiar, I know, but it's not the boat's fault. It was left out in rain, snow and sun until it finally sank in eight feet of water at its mooring! I weighed the boat; it is now 145# which is about 30 pounds over its factory weight. Went through all 16 pages of this forum and decided I'm not going to remove the deck or do a major refit like some others have attempted. Instead the plan is to drill some holes and maybe even put in a hatch-cover kit on the foredeck. Not that it will give me access but rather to help dry out the foam. Then, after getting it as dry as possible, seal the holes I drilled and test the boat by swamping it on purpose to see whether it will still float. Don't want to send the grand kids out on a boat that can sink! And yes, we already enjoy a 14 and 16--it's just that this Holder was given to us and we always appreciate more water toys w/o motors. There are a few cracks to glass on top of the centerboard housing--it's difficult to see in the inside of that lip as there might be damage there. Have not been able to see where water might get in otherwise. So, the best places to drill holes?--transom, bottom or? Any suggestions would be appreciated to save this boat as it looks a lot more comfortable than the Laser I used to own. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: repairs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

at the lowest points of the keel. then at back corners. Keep as level as possible so any water can go to those low points. Then stand up on end. I would say several days each.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, I will do that and will weigh when done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd try to find a way to get air flowing through it as well ( like a shop vac with the hose on air expell outlet or something like that), along with what SX said, warm but not hot.

79 H16 #46803

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quite a bit of water came out of the 'keelholes' and haven't stood it on end yet for the transom holes. Moving air through there will be the next step. Thanks for helping me keep a Hobie sailing as I'm confident this will turn out well.