Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a heavy duty cart to take my pro angler 12 from the truck to the lake, mainly using boat ramps. I was wondering how you guys launch and retrieve the kayak. Basically when I retrieve I have to lift the kayak on its side and feel around for the scupper holes for the cart to go into. This seems pretty hard especially when all my gear is in the kayak. Is there an easier way to do this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't load your yak before launch and unload it before putting the cart back in :)

When launching, I will remove the pin that holds the cart in the scupper and then lift the back end. The cart falls out.

But, I did find this on youtube and it is something I will probably make. http://www.youtube.com/user/ByWhitedog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't tip the boat to the side because it will get scratched up. This is how I do it. Launching: put the boat in about knee deep, use a boat hook to push the cart down and it will pop up to the surface. Retrieving: have the boat at slightly deeper water and feel the scupper holes with the cart. When you find the scupper holes, the cart will float up to it. Takes little practice. Soon you will know how deep the boat should be.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have some scratches on the side of my PA-12 from loading my cart on a concrete boat launch in the beginning. I have since changed how I load the cart on the Kayak. I try to use a grassy area at boat launches to launch and retrieve the kayak if possible. This allows the loading of the cart by tipping the kayak on the side in the grass or dirt without causing damage. When taking the kayak out at a concrete launch I lift the bow and pull the kayak out of the water as far as I can without dragging it on the bottom. I then use a piece of carpet remnant on the dry ground to tip the kayak on the side so it does not cause the scratches. They are cheap, light weight, and get the job done. I just throw the carpet in the kayak and then pull the boat up the ramp to my vehicle. I try to load the loose items in the Kayak after installing the cart when launching and remove those same loose items before trying to reinstall the cart after fishing.

I load my kayak on the roof of my vehicle using Yakima roof racks with their boat loader bar. I try to find a parking spot with grass next to it so I can put the kayak on and off the vehicle from the soft grassy area next to the vehicle. This also helps to reduce any scratching of the kayak on a hard rough surface.

There are many ways to get this done but this works great for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just roll it on the side. After all...... it's just a piece of plastic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I got sick and tired of rolling the Yak on its side. When we were in Flamingo in the Everglades National Park, I had to carry all the stuff that might get wet and muddy to the shore and then flip the Yak and load all the stuff back in. So I built this. Slides on and off with the wheels blocked. So much easier and better. Hold it in place longitudinally with half inch aluminum rod through the scuppers behind the seat. It stores under the bow of the Yak when it is on the top of the truck.

Some random Modification Pictures