Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Try this again....... :wink:

I have a SportsRig micro-trailer (think steel version of Yakima Rak-n-Roll) and I plan on using the PVC pipe idea for cradling my PA-12.
I understand how to determine the width of the PVC pipes on the crossbars, but my question is how far apart should the crossbars themselves be (front to back).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow, 61 veiws and no one has an answer....where's Tom Kirkman when you need him. :roll: :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey L-T!!

I had the same crickets-in-an-empty-field sound when I asked about the spacing for the PVC pipes... :?

I don't know how much this will help, but I recall something in the 25 pages of topics about using the Hobie cradles on a custom trailer... The number that jumps out was 67" apart...Try a search for cradles and maybe you'll find something more accurate?? :?:

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my trailer the bars were the Kayak sits are 80 inches wide and 50 inches apart and the 4 inch PVC pipes are 7 foot long are spaced at 11.5 inches center to center. I have trailered a PA 14 plus my PA 12, Adventure, Revo and Quest with no failures or problems what so ever. Hope this helps :)

http://www.scottypaddlesports.com/ Pro Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the replies ........may have to rethink the layout of the trailer.

Again, thanx.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

LT

I'm using a converted jetski trailer to haul two Pro Anglers. One is a 12 and the other a 14. I just took the bunks off that were used for the jetskis and bolted 2X6 crossmembers in the same place the bunks were previously mounted. They ended up being 8 feet apart. Both kayaks ride well and we've had no issues with deformation. I did nave to cut semicircles into the 2X6s to keep the kayaks from rubbing them when loading and unloading. This has caused no problems with weakening of the crossmembers. I liked the idea of the crossmembers being fairly far apart so as to allow the maximum bending of the PVC pipes that actually support the kayaks. I'm not sure it really matters how far apart the crossmembers are. Just my experience...