Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know there has been some interest in the past in re-installing boomer stripes. I think I have figured it out but the striping tape is only sold in 150' lengths and are $35 each. I wanted to gauge the interest of sharing the price on the stripes. Details below:

For the long stripe (need ~30' per boat):
4 x (orange, red, purple, blue): 3M™ Scotchcal™ Striping Tape 727, 1/2 in x 150 ft

For the rear decal (part that widens and slopes down) I plan to trace the existing stripe with transparent tracing paper and then cut that out from one of these vinyl sheets:
24" Wide Bright Orange 3M ScotchCal
24" Wide Light Red 3M ScotchCal
24" Wide Purple 3M ScotchCal
24" Wide Sapphire Blue 3M ScotchCal

Total cost:
Approx. $170 if I do it all on my own (with 120' left over)
Approx. $85 if one other person is interested (with 90' left over)
Approx. $57 if 2 other people are interested (with 60' left over)
and so on....

Anyone interested?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bump

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've just got done putting stripes on my 16. Bought them off of Ebay for $19.99 a roll. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Inch-X-150-Feet-Brown-Single-Pin-Stripe-Tape-/200314916535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea3b30eb7&vxp=mtr

I've got blue, purple, red, orange (although not impressed with the orange). I haven't tried them yet in water, so I don't want to sell any until I know they'll actually stick. Give me a couple of weeks of sailing and figure out how much you want and what it's worth to you. I'll post a picture in a couple of days so you can see them in action.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jclarkdawe wrote:
I've just got done putting stripes on my 16. Bought them off of Ebay for $19.99 a roll. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Inch-X-150-Feet-Brown-Single-Pin-Stripe-Tape-/200314916535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea3b30eb7&vxp=mtr

I've got blue, purple, red, orange (although not impressed with the orange). I haven't tried them yet in water, so I don't want to sell any until I know they'll actually stick. Give me a couple of weeks of sailing and figure out how much you want and what it's worth to you. I'll post a picture in a couple of days so you can see them in action.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

I appreciate the offer but my difficulty is that my stripes widen and angle downward toward the stern. I contacted Cal-Stripes (the stripes you bought on eBay) and they said that they do not have any spare wide vinyl sheets of the colors I need to cut out the wide/angled portion of the stripe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can buy 12" wide too.

http://www.uscutter.com/Intermediate-Vinyl

Go ahead and buy a cutter too, and you can make anything.

The easy way to do a good job of putting on a stripe is to attach it at the back of the boat, hold the whole thing out away from the hull, have a helper peel the backing, and lay it on in one smooth motion. It's hard to get a smooth curve attaching a small part at the time. I can do as good a job as anyone with one whole piece, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time with multiple lengths.

I have some 25 year old rolls, but I'm pretty sure the adhesive is a gummy mess by now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom King wrote:
You can buy 12" wide too.

http://www.uscutter.com/Intermediate-Vinyl

Go ahead and buy a cutter too, and you can make anything.

The easy way to do a good job of putting on a stripe is to attach it at the back of the boat, hold the whole thing out away from the hull, have a helper peel the backing, and lay it on in one smooth motion. It's hard to get a smooth curve attaching a small part at the time. I can do as good a job as anyone with one whole piece, but I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time with multiple lengths.

I have some 25 year old rolls, but I'm pretty sure the adhesive is a gummy mess by now.

Thanks for the advice. I can't find that Oracal sells vinyl striping though. I'm looking for a company that sells striping and 12" wide vinyl in the same colors so that I can use the striping for the majority of the boat and then cut the wide vinyl myself for the stern.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the same boat you do, yellow with the boomer stripes (our sail numbers are real close, mine is 68194 and yours is 68162). But I'm lazy. I just ran the stripes straight to the stern. Looks good enough for me, and saved me some time and money.

Bet I'd already figured I'd have enough tape to last the life of the boat, so I'm fine either way.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm tempted to just run the stripes all the way back as well. I may put a decal on the stern to cover up the different colored gelcoat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm pretty sure I have some of those rear pieces still in the package. I doubt the adhesive is any good after 25 years, because all the old Hobie stuff is just in a storage building on our farm without heat or AC. Any sign company probably has those colors in stock, and can cut the stripes for you. I've been tempted to buy one of those 2 or 3 hundred dollar vinyl cutters myself. They come with software so you can scan or copy a design to cut. Someone could probably pay for the machine pretty quick just selling Hobie stuff. I'm too busy doing other stuff, but the investment is not that big if someone needs something to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jclarkdawe wrote:
I have the same boat you do, yellow with the boomer stripes (our sail numbers are real close, mine is 68194 and yours is 68162). But I'm lazy. I just ran the stripes straight to the stern. Looks good enough for me, and saved me some time and money.

Bet I'd already figured I'd have enough tape to last the life of the boat, so I'm fine either way.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Below are pictures that Jim sent me of his boat:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you, Zach. I spent half an hour on trying to get the pictures to post and have lost all patience with the process.

I choose to paint my hulls with Petit bottom and deck paint because of fade, some big gouges that needed repair, and having to re-fiberglass the bottom of the hulls. Could have gone with gelcoat but had a couple of reasons for avoiding. I'll see how they hold up.

It hasn't been in the water yet (today is the day), so I'm curious to see how this stuff holds up to actual immersion. I have found you need to press them down in some places a couple of times before you finally get a good grip. Practice would definitely improve the quality.

The orange stripe is very disappointing. The yellow in the paint is very orange, and results in a close match to the stripe. I'm not sure if I'd changed the order a bit whether it might have improved.

Again, thanks Zach.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another picture from Jim. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry it came out so dark. It lost quality it all the transfers. I did decide that the lettering is actually a good size. I'd thought about the 36" size, but that would have put the bottom of the writing in the water nearly all the time. Just won't have looked right.

Now the big question is how well it lasts. We'll see.

And thank you, Zach, for posting the pictures for me.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe