Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Against The Wind
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Vetgam, I don't have access to the clip but would like to see it. Do you get up to 10mph? It appears your engine is mounted on aka bar. From your and Bob's assessment it seems the outboard is the way to go. I guess i could opt to only go out in benign conditions with just the drives. .. but what fun is that? Plus, the winds can change rapidly here and it would not be fun to be stuck out in the gulf or on the opposite side of tampa bay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The video not mine. Rudy is the boat owner and his GPS reads 7mph in an AI using a 2.5hp Yamaha gas powered motor. I don"t have a gas powered motor, just the electric. All the 2.5hp gas and propane powered motors are bigger than I'd like for the AI. They"re fine for a TI. His motor mount is reinforced PVC clamped to a 2 by 4 that sits perched on the aka support bar. Here is the video on the mount. Hopefully you can view it. Johnnybravo has the mount of all mounts though. I would pay serious dollar for one of those.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8v2pn04K8[/youtube]

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a TI motor mount.
Made from aluminium and assembled using epoxy and countersunk blind rivets.
An angle grinder with a cut off wheel, drill and file were the only tools used.
It takes my 2.5 HP outboard which I rarely need to use.
On our 7 hour trip across Gulf St Vincent in South Australia, we didn't take it as the winds were perfect.

The tubing has dowel re-inforcing and drops in the rear scupper holes, protruding out the bottom very slightly.
Even the tool box was simply folded in the bench vice.
I use cord to tie it down to the existing bungee cleats as the thrust is taken by the scupper holes.
The two round circles take the outboard clamps and prevent loose clamps releasing the motor.
I still have a stainless wire chicken strap attached to the starboard read carry handle.

Aren't we clever buggers down under :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Guy's
I just ordered from Island Hopper the 2.0 hp 4 cycle. Looks like a good trade off for the weight of electric and battery. I will let you know how it pushes my TI when it gets here.

Description Unit price Qty Amount

2.0HP 4 Cycle Trolling Motor 19.5" (BR)
Item #: 99850 $545.00 USD 1 $545.00 USD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Larry:
That's the same motor I have, I've had it over 3 yrs now, and have had no problems with it. My advice to you when you get the motor is to degrease it then give the whole thing a clear coat with Krylon clear spray paint. This will help with rust from salt water. I also cover mine with a cloth publics bag to keep water off the motor head when the motor is horizontal .
One thing I discovered is the standard prop is a 4.5 inch pitch ( for much heavier boats) your to speed will be 4 mph, was the same top speed on our revo, oasis, and TI. The prop is th same prop used on Tohatsu, merc, and many other brands ( standard pin prop). I purchased a 7 inch pitch prop and put it on, unfortunately this is too much pitch for my TI and the small 2 up motor can no longer get up to top rpm. I can get to 5 mph, if I had got the 6 inch pitch it would have been perfect. The props are about 20 bucks. They come with a 12mm hole for the shaft, you will need to ream the hole out to 1/2 inch (not hard to do). I carry 1 extra gallon of gas that I keep in another publics cloth bag ( keeps the gas can out of the sun) this gives me about a 50 mile range, which is a typical max trip for me. I've been thinking abou adding a silicone hose to run the exhaust underwater to cut the noise down, but not sure that's legal.
I also added a fuel shutoff valve, and a T connector to the crank case vacuum hose so I can run the motor off of a propane bottle ( 1 bottle give you about 30 minutes run time on propane. Was a big waste of time in my opinion, used it once, not worth the hassle.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fusioneng, Thanks for the ideas, I’ll pick up the clear spray this weekend. Where did you get the props I’ll take your advice and get the 6 inch pitch. I will have to rework my motor mount it’s on my roll bar now. Works fine for an electric but will need to change for the gas.

Great idea about the bags for the covers, gas can and motor head. Would it be possible to get you to post a picture of your mount? I need to change mine and am not sure what I’ll end up with.

I also ordered one of the Cooper anchors 2.2 lbs. I have been using a 5 lb. bell and it doesn’t hold well in sand.

See you on the water!!!! Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Larry,
You will like the Cooper anchor. Secure your rode to the hole near the spade then zip tie the rode to the hole on the stem. This way if your anchor gets stuck you can pull the boat over the anchor, give a hard pull, break the zip tie, and can then free the anchor. You can get the rigging instructions from the Cooper website. It is a great anchor for the AI/TI.... and tested last week in 30!+ winds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MikeSail, Got the anchor, boy is it light. I put about 2.5 ft of coated chain and two shackles on it.

Looks good to me, working on my rollbar to add a motor mount for the 2 hp gas Island Hopper 4 cycle. Will post pictures when I am done.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great motor mount Changman. Wish I had those metalworking skills. Love the accesory addons.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Larry, can I suggest that you change the way you attach the chain? I have found from tests, that the weight of the chain lying along the top of the anchor causes the anchor to tip sideways so instead of the point digging in, the anchor slides along on one side, and is reluctant to really take hold.

I have seen some people use stainless steel cable, or even braided cord for the first few feet, and then attach the chain etc. This way you still have the ability to break the cable tie if you get the anchor stuck in a coral reef.

Incidentally, I believe the need to be able to break this tie is way overstated, and the Cooper website says " When anchoring in anything other than reef, sleeping over night or through a change of tide, the main hole should be used". So I now just attach the line to the anchor at the top end of the anchor....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

larryhts :
Here is a pic of my motor mount.

It's just 1 1/2 PVC tubing with two steel rods drilled through. I used 1 1/2 PVC slid over 1 1/4 PVC to get double thickness, I then filled the area around where the tubes go into the PVC with Bondo for added strength. The board is pressure treated 2x4 with holes drilled into the ends, then the rods glued into the wood with marine epoxy.

Hey since your also adding an anchor, I also added an anchor line reel to my motor mount (100 ft of anchor line takes up a lot of space). I tend to drop and raise my anchor a lot, so it's a handy setup.

The rectangular alum piece just rocks up to suspend the anchor behind and above the boat when your not using it. It actually works great.
I operate everything from the front seat.
Just food for thought

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng, Bob thanks for the pictures I went a little different but the out come is about the same idea. I don't anchor as much as you do, so I am going to try the copper anchor this weekend.

tonystott, I think your right about not needing to use the cable tie and using the front hole alone.

Heres some pictures of my roll bar/ motor mount.

And the reason for the change

See you on the water. Larry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as the wind is blowing, I know the Hobie Island will get me home. Really don't care what direction it's blowing.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good thread guys - the discussion on anchors was very helpful. I do have a small folding kayak anchor but had been disappointed with its holding power. I read Larry, Mike and Tony's comments on the Cooper anchor, checked it out and ordered one. I really like the idea of a non-metallic anchor and looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Let us know how you like the Cooper. I don't have any chain but may add 3 ft of small diameter coated as Larry has done. I fish the mangroves often and have not had the need for chain. I'm constantly pulling up and setting the anchor in shallow water so the chain would be cumbersome. With sufficient scope the Cooper holds well even without chain. However, if I were diving or actually leaving the TI I would add chain. You can attach a weight 2FT above the anchor as an alternative