Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi. My name is Stam and I live in Greece. I am buying a used AI in ten days. A 2008 model with the upgraded rudder which seems to be in excellent conditions (no cracks, or dents, not left under sunlight etc. I don't know if it has any leaks although I will try and fix them if any). The thing is that I wanted to buy a used TI, due too I want to carry my girlfriend onboard (most of the time) but I could not find any here in Greece and I cannot afford to buy a new one at the moment. Until now we had a tandem BIC kayak but I wanted to go into kayak sailing which is more thrilling. Also I am new to sailing in general. I will sail at sea coast to coast most of the times.
I wanted to ask you if you have any experience with an AI with two adult passengers (my weight: 187 lbs, girlfriend: 137 lbs). Where should the second passenger sit? Do you think that trampolines are going to be useful? Also, how AI s sailing capabilities are affected by the extra weight? Thank you very much in advance for your response.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With both of you on an AI, you will be close to the weight limit (350#), so be careful how much extra gear you carry. At 350# the water level will be close to the center hatch.

We have tried different seating, and the best for light sailing is one behind the other, preferably back-to-back to center the weight. You also can try switching from side to side using haka or quarterdeck if the wind is stronger. Hobie Trampolines on an AI are usually too close to the water so a passenger sits in the water causing dragging on that side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you very much for your reply. So let me get it right:
1. ''Try switching from side to side'' you mean we both should sit at the same side of the kayak on the hakas?
2. I would like to add the trampolines as we want to anchor close to some beautiful small islands that are one mile from the shore and relax there. Can I use the tramps and also a quarterdeck at the same time?
3. Can you provide me with any plans to build a quarterdeck?

Thank you again for your immediate reply.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I've done it, tacking, the person in the seat moves onto the Haka/quarterdeck while the other person goes into the seat. Unless you are in very strong winds, then both on one haka is possible. Be careful, the AI ama can't float one person completely by itself, so you may need to practice tacks or you might sink it. :shock: On an AI, the amount of weight and how it's distributed (trim) is much more important than on a TI.

PVC quarterdeck
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=47254&p=208116&hilit=quarterdeck#p208116

ChrisJ has plans somewhere here for his original wooden quarterdeck.

Haka
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645&hilit=quarterdeck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you again. I am trying to see the pictures of ChrisJ plans at his post but they do not open? Do you think that they are removed?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tramps are the easiest way for novice sailors to share the boat. The lighter person should be the one hiking out, most of the time. On the AI, 90-100lb ballast is ideal.

In good wind, they will ride high enough to keep their bums out of the water, but windward waves still keep them wet. In low wind they will often drag in the water. It may be difficult to tack through the wind. You will need to pedal more.

Experiment with moving their weight around, for the best results.

Things can get sticky and even scary when you tack or gybe with your partner on the wrong side, so communicating your intentions ahead of time is important.

It's great fun to have company on the AI at times. Be sure to salute and say, "Aye Aye, Omorfi Capt!" when she is at the helm. Avoid the term "Tramp Candy" when she is not. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

slygizos wrote:
Thank you again. I am trying to see the pictures of ChrisJ plans at his post but they do not open? Do you think that they are removed?

Hi Stam. The original photos of the quarterdeck are here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645&p=175974&hilit=quarterdeck#p175974
I haven't tried the quarterdeck with a passenger, but it should have a few advantages:

- If you are sitting side by side (not pedalling), it should be easy for you both to slide to where your weight keeps the boat level.
- If you are sitting in the Hobie seat and pedalling, your partner can still sit up on the quarterdeck facing backwards or sideways, which should be a lot more comfortable than sitting or kneeling down in the rear cargo bay.
Either way, it's cheap and easy to make, so worth a try.

PS The quarterdeck in the photos was made for the newer style crossbars. The design needs to be modified slightly for the older crossbars, but the principle is the same. You cut rebates in the joists and space the joists so the quarterdeck is prevented from sliding sideways or forwards and backwards. If you do it right, there's no need to tie it down to the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While I realize you are eager to hit the water, my advice, if you are looking to sail with two crew, wait for a tandem boat to become available in your area. ...or expand your geographic search area.

I believe it is wise to acquire a boat designed to meet your desires, rather than buy something outside of your desires and try to force it to work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tj, I think Stam covered that in his original post. He can't find one in Greece or afford to bring one in.

But you raise a good point, the AI is not intended to be used primarily as a 2 man boat. However, if a supermodel REALLY wants a quick ride,..

I always warn folks not to take an overloaded boat into rough or deep waters. Guaranteed, it won't be the bonding experience they hoped for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL NOHUHU. I think you can handle very well the greek language. ChrisJ thank you very much for the photos. I will try to build a quarterdeck. I think it is going to be fun. I am not intending to sail in rough or deep water with two passengers on board at the moment. I should get some experience first. But I can sail coast to coast for some miles with two passengers. The advantage will be that by communicating more with my girlfriend on board for balancing the boat we will advance our relationship. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. You know the price here in Greece for a new TI is 7.800 US dollars and for a new AI 6.000 dollars. I will buy the AI used for 3.900 dollars. Boats are very expensive here.
So one more question. How strong are the akas so as to hold one passenger? If one person (censored) on the left aka and one on the right are they going to hold the weight? I mean how strong are the aka bases on the kayak to hold so much weight?

Thank you all. You are very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So what's the problem about deep water? It's either shallow enough to stand up in or it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes you are right. I thought that when you mentioned deep water you meant going out in an ocean or something. I will be sailing coast to coast at the beginning until I get some experience. Maximum depth 7 meters. But I will be close to shore if anything happens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Stam - congratulations on making the change to a Hobie Adventure Island - you will love it!

Given your limited budget and desire to carry a passenger, one thing that you might consider is to add a modification by adding Tandem Island Amas to the AI. You will need to be handy with some tools or have a friend that can help you with the modifications. NOHUHU did such a modification (along with a host of others) to his 2008 AI and commented that it added about 200lbs more flotation. That would give you a much safer margin to do your sailing in without the cost of a TI.

You can see his posting on this at viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33992&start=15

Another member made the conversion of adding TI amas to his AI - see this note by "BlackNBlue" - you can see a video of the modified AI here
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZWQFSB0iOo[/youtube]

and his posting about it here viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33992&start=60

Last edited by aussieonyak on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An excellent good idea. Haven't noticed. Thank you very much for your reply.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

slygizos wrote:
. So one more question. How strong are the akas so as to hold one passenger? If one person (censored) on the left aka and one on the right are they going to hold the weight? I mean how strong are the aka bases on the kayak to hold so much weight?

Thank you all. You are very helpful.
Your English is terrific, Stam.

One good thing about taking your girlfriend on the boat occasionally - you'll find out if she's as adventurous as you are. If you are a good captain, she will enjoy it. If she likes sailing, but is willing to pack your lunch, drop you off, pick you up somewhere downwind, and then help you load and wash the boat, she is a KEEPER! Set the hook immediately. ;-)

Okay, now back to sailing,..

If there are no cracks in the hull or under the Akas, you'll have no trouble supporting 1 person out on the tramps. I would not recommend 2 on the same side because they're not designed for that. Combining a quarterdeck with tramps sounds like a perfect set up for two people, however you won't be able to pack much else with you on the trip. Too much weight. (You MUST still pack safety gear, yes?)

Your biggest concerns will be taking on water through the aft rudder lines and breaking rudder pins. Once you flood the hull with 2 aboard, you won't be able to pump it out and the AI will become very unstable. So please watch for this and stay close to shore.

καλή τύχη!