Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rail Tape on Hulls?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wondering if anyone has used Rail Tape for Stand Up Paddle Boards on their Hobie to protect the hulls from wear? The stuff does an excellent job with the paddle board, not sure if it will hold up to beaching and trailering a 16.

Post subject: Re: Rail Tape on Hulls?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are you calling Rail Tape?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did some research. Where are you talking about using it? On the bottoms? I do not see it lasting long and expensive from what I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks buddy, but looking for someone that "has used" rail tape / helicopter tape on their Hobie. Expensive would be a bottom job in terms of time and cash. Dropping $100 on rail tape is well worth it if it protects the bottoms from wear and dings. Would love to know if anyone has actually used it and what the results have been.

My Experience with it has been very good with a SUP and used to protect mtb chainstay from the chain beating on it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excuse me. Sorry for trying to figure out exactly what you were trying to do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

maybe bobv5 should try this on his own. he says how great this "rail tape" is. sounds like he is already sold. just try it, instead of asking people if theyve tried it. its like asking how to get to a secret surf spot and if the waves are good there. just figure that out on your own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have not used it but have thought about it. Also thought about "Keel Guard", but that is felt pretty pricy. Also thought about just trying some adhesive backed HDPE such as McMaster part number 7701T212, although I kinda doubt the adhesive would hold up. But at $2.20 per foot it might be worth a try, and I think that with a heat gun you could wrap it around the bottom. Compared to $30/ft for the Keel Guard. Right now I am just patching my bottom Gel Coat on a regular basis. I met the guy who owns and runs Surfco (which makes rail tape, nose guards, etc). Nice guy, and helpful. I had thought about asking him if he can make some rail tape in thicker material. Although at $3.50 per foot you could maybe just do two or three layers and be good to go. I suspect a single layer of the rail tape would help with sand abrasion on the bottom, but not help if there is an actual impact with a reef or something.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello fellow Hobie kayakers, I know the thread has been idle for a while, but...

For years I've been trying to find a solution trying to protect all my Hobies (Outback 2013, Outback 2014 and finally now... my brand new Hobie Outback 2015

Must have spent countless hours online doing research on possible, doable and above all effective solutions to protect both stern a bow keels on my Outbacks. Result... Never found anything truly worth while, either because after some research review show products not being really effective as they would offer little to no protection OR other products out there were too expensive and required some tweaking (forget about the fact you if you make a mistake or the solution don't actually work... that would be an expensive prototype)

Now that I came up with what I feel as being PERFECT solution (and cheap I should add) figured I should share...

PLEASE DONT TAKE ME WRONG... By no means I think this is better than anyone's else solution (a perfect solution i and will always be what works for you) but... I'm really happy with it and will protect my new Outback when loading/unloading the kayak to/from my truck roof rack and launching/arriving to the boat ramp (concrete)

You will notice the after making these two pieces the 32oz jar (approx. $30) is still over 3/4 full (this was also after making a couple nose/tail protectors for my longboard skateboard) - Pigment Pack (approx. $12)

Total cost for BOTH pieces: LESS $5

(Please note: MATTE scotch tape was used to prevent morphing plastic from adhering to shape roller, kayak and everything else...)

BTW you can make this in whatever color you'd like...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cool stuff!