Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hairyguy, you'll know it's the right material if it's very soft neoprene, and looks like you could dent or tear it easily. This is the only version that will compress enough to make a proper seal.

It's less common but I found a version of it at lowes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Same stuff. I went by the barcoded label you showed
a picture of.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope you did get the same stuff. Sounds like something is mis-priced.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So how is the Arma flex insulation holding up?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Horns2--sorry I missed your post. I long ago sold that boat (2015?) and have no idea how that seal is holding up. Sorry. Note that the posts above are back in 2013.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Horns2 wrote:
So how is the Arma flex insulation holding up?

I use Arma flex pipe insulation as sealing for the front hatch and I make a new one after 2 summers.
Arma flex is cheap and it just take me 30 minutes to renew the hatch sealing.
I have a little bit other solution than Chekika but you asked about the material.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK ty. Im going to try the armaflex.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi new to this subject, has any of these leak issues been resolved at factory level during build cycle for a 2017-18 PA’s

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fourtogo wrote:
Hi new to this subject, has any of these leak issues been resolved at factory level during build cycle for a 2017-18 PA’s

It is hard to know, since Hobie generally does not comment on leaks and remedies they may or may not have made. My 2015 AI 2 and 2014 TI do not leak significantly, but I think it is a crap shoot as to what you will get. Hopefully, they have improved their boats and the front hatch specifically.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmm @ 33-35 hundred dollars as to weather it leaks . And having a company insulating it’s self from working with it’s customers . And only doing a dance with a deal wiping boy . Is not what I call Awsome customer relations . I bought s new 2017 Outback. May be in market for a PA12 , I want more than a roll of dice . Or how a factory worker does his function on assembly line . You wouldn’t by a car with it only keeping water out sometimes. Don’t get me wrong dealers are the hero’s of the companies network . I do understand it’s a wet sport , but the wetness isn’t supposed be inside th3 hull . If I buy a PA what do I do at pick time to prove to my self this thing isn’t going leak like titanic. I would like Admin to chime in here .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a great idea, I saw a lot of people commenting on this, but did not see anyone provide a definitive response on whether or not this worked for them. Did this work out as you expected or did you end up getting the hobie seal replacement kit?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

*bump* trying this 20220519 - From Allen, TX

Kayak is 2017 TI, was out in some rough stuff (lake rough stuff) and probably took on 5-10 gallons of water - first thru the hatch, and then have a thru hull without a gasket and ended up submerged so it got uh

exciting.

:)

But gonna try the pipe rubber insulation version - and then do the hose test.

1) The pressure test is awesome to find areas of concern, that's how I found the thru holes missing gaskets and seals.
2) The hatch is for sure an areas of concern - with the factory seals and a hose running around the edge (no nozzle but full soaking blast) for 1 minutes - I collected about 3/4 of a gallon of water
3) did the mechanic mike fix, and tightened the bungies and it helps, but doesn't "fix" it - still a few cups of water
4) did the camping pad insert and it helps, but it's not "dry"

If this works - it's the easiest and quickest way to seal up - and while it's not permament - it's pretty trivial to maintain a piece of foam at <$10 every couple of year - esp if it works.

Wish me luck

--Adrian

Last edited by peril on Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

THIS WORKS FANTASTIC - literally watertight on the hatch with cord and the pressure test with the tight bungees blew my makeshift manifold off.

Links
(1) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Armaflex-1- ... /100550644
(2) https://www.instructables.com/How-To-Ma ... ubstitute/

Lessons learned

1) Do not hold the rubber in your hands when you superglue them together - the superglue / rubber reaction is exothermic, and instantly bonds bits of rubber to your fingers and palms faced with superglue.

2) If you have leaking thru hulls (for wires or blanks) and need to fix gaskets, just make some "oogoo" 2 parts silicone, 1 part corn starch, and make little rope that go around and behind, and in the fitting if required - seals them up good, dries over night solid, and easy to clean up.

Boat was tight after both of these mods - really want to take it out again and see how it does for real.

-Adrian

peril wrote:
*bump* trying this 20220519 - From Allen, TX

Kayak is 2017 TI, was out in some rough stuff (lake rough stuff) and probably took on 5-10 gallons of water - first thru the hatch, and then have a thru hull without a gasket and ended up submerged so it got uh

exciting.

:)

But gonna try the pipe rubber insulation version - and then sd the hose test.

1) The pressure test is awesome to find areas of concern, that's how I found the thru holes missing gaskets and seals.
2) The hatch is for sure an areas of concern - with the factory seals and a host running around the edge (no nozzle but full soaking blast) for 1 minutes - I collected about 3/4 of a gallon of water
3) did the mechanic mike fix, and tightened the bungies and it helps, but doesn't "fix" it - still a few cups of water
4) did the camping pad insert and it helps, but it's not "dry"

If this works - it's the easiest and quickest way to seal up - and while it's not permament - it's pretty trivial to maintain a piece of foam at <$10 every couple of year - esp if it works.

Wish me luck

--Adrian

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Adrian… can you post a photo please?

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry for the bobo direct link to google photos - trying Images links below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8nTdvmPueavDu6gu7

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next