Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I am now a Hobie-ite, or whatever we're called....
Picked up my new Olive Hobie Outback on April 17

Anyways, I have owned a WS Tarpon 120, then a WS Ride 135 for fishing and freedive spearfishing, both of which I loved, but then I demoed an outback and a Revolution while on vacation in Florida. From that moment on, I was done with holding a paddle and a fishing rod at the same time, trying to keep from being drug into the mangroves or blown backwards while trying to set lines in Lake Michigan for salmon trolling.

I am 205# and fairly fit (surf, freedive, cyclist) and although I felt the Revo was plenty stable, I immediately connected with the outback, and it's roominess (Also, my WS Ride 135 is 31.5" wide, so the outback didn't feel too chubby, and I have since PADDLED the outback and didn't see any problems with that at all)

Now the Rigging...
I sold my previous rig, lock, stock and barrel.... (well, I kept my crate, and anchor trolley)

It had a crate with rod holders that folded out to the side behind my seat, which I really liked, but it weighed a ton

Having the rod holders behind me only duped me once so far (fish on out of view, rod action telegraphing thru the crate and made me think something was on the opposite rod.)
See for yourself...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqvpHOOjejY[/youtube]

So I spent hours pouring over pictures online of rigged boats, and I probably another 2 hours just sitting in the outback trying different configurations, trying to get the rods in front of me, but none felt right.
I wanted to keep the deck clear/flat so I could store it upside down, and mounting them in the trays forward of my hips was a nice reach, but would conflict with the Lowrance unit I plan on installing on the right side tray (1" ram mount)

So I finally decided to ditch the forward mounting idea and switch to flush mount Scotty plates for rocket launchers mounted slightly aft of my seat (which was pretty much mimicked the setup I had on my RIDE)

My rocket launchers are not here yet, so I made a PVC Mockup of rocket launchers on order from ACK.

Then I got my anchor trolley swapped over (harken rollers, and SS Clips to a Pad-eyes front and rear.

Another pic.
I will update this when I get the FF mounted and the rest of my setup done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any issues do you forsee with the rudder line? I like this idea I was thinking if installing a flush mount near the factory hole, but I think this should work.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rudder lines were clear of the bolts and the inverted "post" of the rod holder socket.

I was ultra careful and inspected it multiple times before and during drilling. =)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Really nice boat! One thing I would have done is used gear track with ram screwballs that way you could move the rocket launchers anywhere you want and remove the ball when you want to store the yak upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

welcome to the addiction!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cbump wrote:
Really nice boat! One thing I would have done is used gear track with ram screwballs that way you could move the rocket launchers anywhere you want and remove the ball when you want to store the yak upside down.

Thanks!

I actually can't get rams to tighten enough for trolling without slipping, especially with a fiesty king salmon trying to remove the rod from the boat, so I specifically went with the scotties. As far as location, I have had enough experience with rod holders all over my previous boats to know that I like them amidships the best, and since I dive (spearfish) I want the sides clear in the cockpit for entry/exit, and ahead of the forward built in's is too much of a reach for me.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very well thought out and executed!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rocket launchers are a great idea. I utilize something similar to you, but I have mine mounted to a section of marine starboard. There are 4 of the launcher set up, but the two facing the left and right are used for trolling tube-n-wowms, while the two rear facing launchers are used a simple rod holders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice!
I was trying to get away from my crate (pictured above)
and still needed a few vertical rod holders behind the seat for Gaff, net, casting rod, etc.... Something like this might just do the trick.

With the crate I tend to take too much stuff... and the boat was getting heavier and heavier with each outing, so I am trying to get back to the essentials only.

My Lowrance Elite 4 DSI shows up on thursday, along with the rocket launchers (pictured was a PVC tube mockup)
I will post new pics with the Fishfinder installed, and final rod holder setup.

I also did a cruise on the flooded waters of the Grand River the other night to check on my parents boat which is stored on the hard at the marina.
Their 48' boat was only about 5-6" from floating off the stands! :shock:

Hobie practical test "peddle" report
I only had to get the paddle out once, and that was because a sapling slid and wedged between it and the boat halting my progress.
The little sticks you see sticking up just below the surface, are the tops of the cattails which are usually about shoulder high.
No problems pedaling thru the weeds/cattails/brush at all (Much to my surprise!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDoH05NcKvY[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

More Pics of the Rigging!

Well, I ended up mounting the lowrance Elite 4 DSI on the starboard side, (left hand rudder, right hand fiddling with the fish finder)
Transducer is set in LEXEL in front of the mirage drive behind the sail post

The battery is installed in the included gear bucket in the rear hatch.
Note, I wired in a charging plug into the circuit, so I don't have to unhook anything to charge it up, and I also led the feed wire out thru the bottom of the tupperware and resealed with lexel.
The wire is terminated into some sta-con quick connect blade connectors to allow for removal of the battery box without any real hassle.

The Scotty rocket launcher rod holders and infinite slip discs also showed up, so I got them swapped out as well.
I Love the slip discs!

And one more from tonights fishing venture on Lake Michigan

Last edited by Mikesab2080 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good job!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well done Mike--nice pictorial on your setup. Looks like you're all ready for some kings--time to utilize that net!
T2

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hutch wrote:
The rocket launchers are a great idea. I utilize something similar to you, but I have mine mounted to a section of marine starboard. There are 4 of the launcher set up, but the two facing the left and right are used for trolling tube-n-wowms, while the two rear facing launchers are used a simple rod holders.

that's a sweet looking setup - how do you find the tranducer arm goes in that location?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do you have the board attached?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jcanracer wrote:
welcome to the addiction!

x2