Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The great part of using the Ram systems is that it pivots at two points. This allows the transducer to be tucked below the rear lift handle during transport. When you are in heavily grass you can adjust the angle to cause less drag...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where can one purchase the rear transducer mount

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rbailen wrote:
Way cool... What are you using to keep the water out of the hull where the cord is passing through the hull? Did you have this made for you or is it an off the shelf product? Great idea for those side imaging transducers...

Rob

Thanks sir, I used Marine grade silicone to seal around the plug and transducer cable. I purchased it for $40 shipped and took less than a week to receive. I really like this set up so far. I have the guys info and can share it. If you're interested shoot me a pm and I'll get that info to you. It does not sit very low in the water at all. I noticed when I got out of the yak that it doesn't even get a read because it sits out of the water. Another great feature using the Ram is that you can adjust the tension to allow it to move if you run into any structure. It just kicks up and out of the way. One thing I might change later is going with the second 1" ball metal instead of plastic ( already broke one first trip out not paying attention and rammed it into a pylon) Live and learn...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bought same battery pack. We're you able to use the power jack or splice? Where did you mount the battery? Any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

saltwatersports wrote:
Bought same battery pack. We're you able to use the power jack or splice? Where did you mount the battery? Any tips?

I'll try to go into further detail later...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went ahead and cut the adapter that the Stealth Cam Battery Pack came with and replaced it with something I had laying around. These boxes tuck nicely on either side of the sail mast support just lay them on their side. I am going to see how long the battery lasts and will probably add another later if it drains too fast. I also used that mast support to zip tie my connections up higher incase I have any water enter the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup! Interesting transducer mount, but I wonder how much more steering correction you'll need with that dragging in the water? Also, when lifting her up to put wheels on, you'll have to remember the transducer is still back there.

Mine is not perfect either, but I feel it's a better way to approach the Side Imaging transducer since we already have the Lowrance mount plate. I also don't hang up on weeds/grass/etc...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

fishingfiend wrote:
Nice setup! Interesting transducer mount, but I wonder how much more steering correction you'll need with that dragging in the water? Also, when lifting her up to put wheels on, you'll have to remember the transducer is still back there.

Mine is not perfect either, but I feel it's a better way to approach the Side Imaging transducer since we already have the Lowrance mount plate. I also don't hang up on weeds/grass/etc...

Is there a humminbird conversion that you used or did you just attach with glue?