Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: hobie 16 spinnaker cut
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
Recently I picked up a h16 1990's era spinnaker for my boat (dirt cheap by the way). It has a Hobie 16 label on it so i assumed it was made by Hobie and for the h16. My spin sheet blocks are mounted to the back of side rails, per instructions included, not the front like the current spinnaker design (I believe). The spinnaker looks well when its up, but it seems to have a lot of bang to it. My question is when did the spinnaker change cuts and what are the differences? Also, I'm looking at a upgrading to epo's mainly 2 vs 3. Can the design changes and not just improved trailing edge? Does any one have any performance differences between the two? Currently I am using the nylon rudders that came with my boat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
Rab1515 wrote:
Recently I picked up a h16 1990's era spinnaker for my boat (dirt cheap by the way). It has a Hobie 16 label on it so i assumed it was made by Hobie and for the h16. My spin sheet blocks are mounted to the back of side rails, per instructions included, not the front like the current spinnaker design (I believe). The spinnaker looks well when its up, but it seems to have a lot of bang to it. My question is when did the spinnaker change cuts and what are the differences? Also, I'm looking at a upgrading to epo's mainly 2 vs 3. Can the design changes and not just improved trailing edge? Does any one have any performance differences between the two? Currently I am using the nylon rudders that came with my boat.


The instructions for mounting the spin blocks aft on the side bar are inaccurate, FYI !!!

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:33 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
Image

if i did that, i think my apinnaker ahape wpuld be all wrong


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:40 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
Rab1515 wrote:
Image

if i did that, i think my apinnaker ahape wpuld be all wrong


Hey, great looking boat and great pic. I think that your spi just might not be a H16 Spinnaker. Check out the vids below and and examine the position of the spinnakers. Also, you may want to confirm the length of your spi pole as it appears as though it may not extend much further than the front of the bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-CvzObOBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYK9N7_A ... ed&search=

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
it is a hobie 16 spinnaker, it has the same tag on it as the mainsail saying its made for a hobie 16. the poll extends alot farther than the bows the angle on the picture is missleading.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
Rab1515 wrote:
it is a hobie 16 spinnaker, it has the same tag on it as the mainsail saying its made for a hobie 16. the poll extends alot farther than the bows the angle on the picture is missleading.


Don't know what's on the spi but I DO know that the Spi shape on your boat does not correlate to the shape of the spi on H 16s today. Maybe it's an older system. You may want to ask either of the Matts, Bounds/Miller about the status of your spi, as they know a lot more about the history of Hobie than I do. Hey, they know a lot more, period. :lol: BTW, your spi pole should be 10' 7". Hope this helps. :)

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:57 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
i know its diffrent than the current cut, asking when it changed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:08 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
Rab1515 wrote:
i know its different than the current cut, asking when it changed


Hey, if you're content with what you have then don't worry about it. I can see in your pic the cut of your spi would warrant you having the spi sheet blocks being at the stern of the sidebar. When it comes right down to it, it's all a matter of preference.

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
mmiller care to chime in?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
does any one know?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:23 pm
Posts: 60
Mmiller do you know?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jclarkdawe and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group