Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, I am going to buy this boat today. Can anyone give me an idea on what it's value is? I have a number in my head, and I want to see if I am on target.

The boat is a 1984, and everything on it is original including sails, rigging, and tramps. The rigging and wing tramps will need to be replaced. Also, I do not know if it has the upgraded rudder system.

Were there any issues with the 1984 boats? I think I remember reading so range of years that needed hull repairs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have an 84 as well. 84 was I believe the year that Coleman started building them lighter. I think the way to tell is that a red adhesive was used to mount the decks to the hulls and there is a "red line" on the lighter hulls. Mine doesn't have it and I've never seen one.

I have heard good and bad about the lighter hulls. They are apparently lighter and therefore should be faster. The downside is they break at the front crossbar in heavy weather. I don't mean crack, start leaking, or taking on water. Think swimming home.

There was a re-enforcement kit that supposedly fixed the problem and since you have wings you should probably have that anyway. Make sure that's been done or find a kit.

My boat was all original as well. Unless it's been stored indoors the tramp probably needs to be replaced as well. The original lines soak up a lot of water and don't go through blocks very well. Rope technology has improved a bit since then. I'd replace them with a good double braid that doesn't stretch and downsize them 1/16" to 1/8" or more to make your life easier. You could probably run 1/4" or less on the main without it breaking but it would be murder on your hands.

That looks like a solid aluminum stick so that and the wings are not class legal but I was at the Buzelli Nationals last year and no one batted an eye even when I pointed it out.

Obviously all the other stuff. Soft spots, etc.

Looks like a nice boat! Have fun and let us know how it goes. Can I ask what you're dropping on it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey thx for the information. He's asking 4 l, but I think that's very high.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's an '84 then it is likely a red-glue boat. Pop open the access port, stick a flash light in there, and look at the deck seam. If you see a big gob of red, then it's a red glue boat. That boat does not have the upgraded crossbar reinforcements. If it is in fact a red-glue boat, I would be very particular about looking up under the hull flange for signs of cracking (actually, even if it isn't a red glue boat, you should inspect this area carefully, especially on a boat without the reinforcement plates). You want to inspect the recess where the hull anchors connect (all eight locations). I would also look closely at the hull near the front trailer support - it is on rollers, not cradles.
This boat does not have a comptip, you will need one if you plan to start racing seriously. It does have the upgraded rudder system which is good. It also looks like it has EPO rudders which is good. Check them for UV damage (the glass fabric will start to show through). Otherwise, fully inspect all aluminum components for excessive corrosion, especially the front crossbar.
Sails look to be original. They're probably fine for putzing around, but they're 30 years old, so may be getting towards the end of their life and probably not too good for any serious racing.
Plan on replacing standing rigging and shroud anchor bolts if the owner can't tell you when they were last replaced. I would not advise trailering with the bridle wires pulled back as shown in the pictures. This puts a funky kink in the wire.

All in all, it could be a good boat, but not worth $4k IMO. I would think maybe $2500 if its in real good condition (since it's got wings). I would think a more realistic price would be around $2k.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank you sm, I figured the same thing. I didnt even talk price with him because hes so far out there. I am going to look over the boat and then bring it up.

I was thinking $2500 tops.

I have seen the boat. It was at our club briefly, the hulls are in great condition. I did not look closely for stress cracks because it was not on the market then. I will do that. Thank you for the info.

Now the only question is whether I should go sailing on my boat and go tomorrow to get it, or pick her up today :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats a really a nice looking H18 there, Aaron. All of blue boats of that vintage I've seen are terribly faded/chalky like the blue decks on my '82 two-tone. This is a sign that the boat was covered and cared for. Now, if the rigging is indeed all original, be prepared to replace all of it. New shrouds and anchor pins will set you back a decent sum of $$. As for the mast, I would actually prefer a solid stick over a bendy comptip. It's one less thing to worry about breaking or sealing and IMO less prone to spilling off wind. But having sailed on my friend's solid stick 18 a few times, you're going to need a very good downhaul system. If the rudders are EPOs that would be a huge plus. Look for the telltale "EPO" sticker. Absent any stickers, the black plastic rudders are easy to bend and the EPOs are not. People love the wings.

For reference, I paid $2k for my 18 five years ago (boat, trailex trailer, nice coffin-style sailbox with extra parts and beach wheels). This boat looks nicer than mine. Not $4k nicer (to me) but I would likely pay $2500. That sail pattern is pretty slick. Good luck!

Last edited by BrianCT on Sat May 04, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like the other have said, the boat 'looks' to be in great condition. After inspection if you still want to purchase, I'd say $2800 is a top end price, if the trailer is in good shape

As a comparison, I purchased a 1988 H18 3 years ago that was originally my boat after a 13 year absence, still in pretty good condition. With a Trailex trailer I paid $2000. Which was probably a little more than it was worth by $400, but it was MY boat. I spent for all new rigging, sheets, misc hardware and some sail repair. I eventually spent $750 for a set of Magnum wings.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Based on the never forget. Is this guy a ny fireman? If so i think he bought this boat in nj by me last year. Pm me if you think this is the same boat. Im pretty sure its the olympic version, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

aaron-hobie wrote:
thank you sm, I figured the same thing. I didnt even talk price with him because hes so far out there. I am going to look over the boat and then bring it up.

I was thinking $2500 tops.

I have seen the boat. It was at our club briefly, the hulls are in great condition. I did not look closely for stress cracks because it was not on the market then. I will do that. Thank you for the info.

Now the only question is whether I should go sailing on my boat and go tomorrow to get it, or pick her up today :D

Aaron,

I see the boat is still for sale. May I ask why you passed on it?

Pdragon

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just my hunch but most colored boats were made before 1983. Almost everything after 1984 were white boats. My hunch is this boat was constructed in 1983 and sold in 1984. My bet is it is not a red line boat.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, depending on how you use it............just for fun in a rough ocean or lake...........non red line is better.

........racing and willing to add a little TLC to care for red line hulls......red line is better. My red line boats are 20-30 lbs lighter than my non-redlines in the past.

Not knowing the condition of the sails the boat is looks to be worth between 2000-2500. If the sails are near perfect or new, the boat could be worth 2500-3000. Again, SRM gave you some good things to look for.

Anyway around it, these boats are cheap for the fun we get out of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys, I passed in it for two reasons. The first was that he was asking way too much, and I didn't feel like arguing with him. The second was someone called me back about a Nacra 17 the day I was going to get it. I've seen the boat at my club. It's a nice boat, but the sails and rigging are original to the boat and need to be replaced. $$$$

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaron, if you're still looking, I just ran across this beauty for sale in the Poconos. A clean-looking boat with lots of extra parts.

http://scranton.craigslist.org/boa/3825367244.html