Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the spin kit been around and around on here - got lots of help from members here offline.
(thanks)
starting the install now the kit has no rivit liners for the tang (6) Kit and instuctions are (not of the same source) instructions with kit have no tang or liners, Kit dod have tang and 6 rivits but not liners, PDF instructions (updated) show tang and liners).

So my question? order WAIT hold everything until I can get liners from Hobie or just silicone heavily before and after rivit install and that's good enough?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'd wait for caps. Pressure on the rivets at 20+ feet down (turtled) will fail silicone seals. Maybe epoxy though?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have a Hobie dealer near by, check with them. Often they stock spare rivets and caps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I need them FAST can you get me at least 6 of them? Or talk to the powers that be?

Ron Kramer
125 LUCE ST SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534

there were only 2 caps in the entire kit (for a loop) up top it appears. Though the pdf instructions do not include installing this loop above the tang.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

The "Hoop" is for all aluminum masts. In the US we added the tang for use on a CompTip, so disregards the upper eye strap and the hoop.

I'll get 6 caps out tomorrow. You will have them Friday.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nearest dealer is 2 hour drive. = (

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks so much Matt... though I don't have a comp tip.
I drilled in the channel to install that line "loop" so the spin can allow the mast to rotate and my 2nd drill
went into the mast = (

TRIED to fill it with silicone, but I'm doubtful it's sealed. I was to worried about the main sail getting caught on
silicone and the rope circle in the mast channel.

I did try and put the sail up and it did go. (brand new) was harder to hoist than I expected. Is there some sort
of lube for the track? I like to keep my sail new, so something that should stay fairly clean.

I really appreciate your help and speed! thank you.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hoisting the main was difficult? This is 99.99% fixable by technique :

Quote:
Raising the mainsail of a Hobie can be more difficult than need be.

Several factors can cause the mainsail to be difficult to hoist:

Dirty luff ropes and luff tracks. These can be cleaned with soapy water and a scrub brush. If you want to use a lubricant, keep away from oils and waxes that can attract dirt. Use a dry silicone spray. Most all Hobie sails now have a Teflon threaded bolt (luff) rope to ease the hoisting effort.

Battens and sail shape. The battens stiffen the airfoil shape of your sail. Over tensioning of the battens can cause a couple of problems. Luff protector caps can be forced against the mast and cause drag when hoisting. The battens also force the sail shape into a curve. The luff curve (seen when laying the sail out on the ground, as a large arch) is typical to Hobie Cat main sails. The sails "airfoil" shape is mostly created by the miss-matched mast bend and luff curve of the sail. The luff curve is more than the likely mast bend and when the mast is straight (while hoisting) the difference is dramatic. This luff curve going up the straight mast can cause significant drag and hoisting problems when done incorrectly.

Outhaul. Be sure the outhaul is fully released before hoisting.

Hoist Technique:

Keep the batten tension to a minimum. Hoist the sail slowly, while feeding into the mast opening. When the sail gets about 3/4's of the way up, begin aggressively feeding at the bottom opening and reduce the amount of halyard effort. If the halyard is pulled tight when the sail is not being fed into and up the track, you will have problems. The sail luff will pull taunt and the curve shape will bind in the (straight) mast track. Lower the sail slightly and begin feeding again.

The best way to feed the sail is to stand in front of the mast and reach around either side to "sandwich" the sail between two hands (above the feeder opening) and push the sail up the track. Pull with the halyard, only the slack created, then feed again. If the sail binds, lower slightly and begin feeding again. This technique can be done by one person, but is certainly easier with two working together. It is VERY important that the person on the halyard only pulls the slack up the mast and does not get ahead of the feeder.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)