Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It feels to me on my H16 like am 'faster' and make fewer mistakes when racing on a port tack as compared to a starboard tack. Being right handed the tiller is in my dominate hand, and I am also right eye dominate

Does anyone else notice this? Or given this any thought?

I have heard of car racers also being faster turning one direction than the other.

Any tricks on communicating with my left arm better. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

ronholm wrote:

I have heard of car racers also being faster turning one direction than the other.

NASCAR drivers are fastest on left turns.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jonh wrote:
ronholm wrote:

NASCAR drivers are fastest on left turns.

No, they are faster after the left turn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:mrgreen:

Seriously. Next time you try and put on a coat try and put the 'other' arm in first

Or. The neighbor kids love to come powersliding to a stop on their bmx bikes. The left based kid rotates clockwise into a slide the right hand kids rotate counterclockwise more often than not.

Maybe NASCAR drivers ended up going left because it simply seemed more natural for more people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steering wheel is on the left. Need th be able to see the inside lane/edge of track.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ron Holm, looks like others notice this too on all different kinds of boat's http://www.bing.com/search?q=sail+faster+port+starboard

I wonder about slight differences in hull symmetry, hull weight, Rudder alignment, batten flex, mast rotation, etc. One ear better than other making it seem so :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
Steering wheel is on the left. Need th be able to see the inside lane/edge of track.

Nascar turns left because the driver is on the left. If they hit the wall the driver is more protected. In Australia the oval track racers turn right.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobie18rich wrote:
In Australia the oval track racers turn right.

You have to also consider that they're turning right AS WELL AS racing upside down. Man, have they got it tough, driving on the wrong side of the road and upside down. all at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not getting any help from the crew on this one, eh Ron! :roll:

I share the same physical setup as you and I am still learning the ropes on various cats, so this interests me too.

One would think that, on a well-tuned boat, having the dominant arm and eye forward (starboard tack) would provide a better sense of balance, vision and control (while flying at least) but this may not be the case. Maybe the "Goofy-foot" analogy is closer to the truth when sailing. (Righty's feel more natural leading with their left side). Boxing and other sports - same thing.

The direction of wind, currents and waves probably have more to do with your speed, as will ballast or the condition of your boat. Any of these could make the port tack faster for you. Owners of furling sails sometimes report seeing a difference on one side.

So your "dominant" side may have little to do with it, but there is one way to find out.

Put 2 marks perpendicular to the wind, along a constant depth and have your left-handed crew time your speed runs.

When that's done, let them sail the course several times and compare notes.

Maybe you can settle this - and find out if both of us should be doing more "left-handed" curls. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not so sure about this dominant side theory.
I'd check the setup of the hulls, if they are still parallel. Check the pylons for movement. Check the rudders for proper alignment. Chek to see if the rig is setup the same port and starboard.

As you become a better sailor, steering should be more by feel than anything else. You will know when you are in the groove by how the helm feels. That leaves your sight for sail trim and conditions.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OlderBowman wrote:
I'd check the setup of the hulls, if they are still parallel. Check the pylons for movement. Check the rudders for proper alignment. Chek to see if the rig is setup the same port and starboard.

As you become a better sailor, steering should be more by feel than anything else. You will know when you are in the groove by how the helm feels. That leaves your sight for sail trim and conditions.

But don't you think it is possible your feel is better one way or the other?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not too sure I get the gist of this subject. Unless there is a problem with the boat, or the skipper is very one side dominate, any difference should be minor. And if there is a difference, what does it matter, you still have to make both port and starboard tacks. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

ronholm wrote:
OlderBowman wrote:

But don't you think it is possible your feel is better one way or the other?

+1 Ron. I posted this same question on catsailor several years ago with similar responses.
Did you check this? Have you measured that? one hull weighs more than the other...to ad nauseum.
The vast majority still believes if your boat's not fast there's something wrong with everything but the tiller nut.

I can get my head "out of the boat" easier on port tack. This has been true with the dozens of cats I've owned. Much like golf (putting specifically) I think having your dominant eye trailing (if you will) helps you see the line better. [I'm right-handed]

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I must admit in the past I have wondered the same thing... I used to feel faster on one tack. I thought maybe it was the boat somehow, perhaps a shroud just a little longer on one side etc... However these days I don't notice any more and I never made changes to the boat. Boats still the same, so maybe it is nut on the end of the tiller and over time I adjusted and became more ambidextrous? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There you have it Ron. You are not nuts.

Or if you are, you're in good company.