Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone looked into retrofitting the Vantage seat from the 2013 Pro Angler to the earlier models? I really like this seat but do not want to buy another boat just to have that seat. I asked my dealer about it and was told he'd have to ask the factory about that. Just thought someone on here may have already looked into it. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 am 
Site Admin

Nothing from Hobie is available to retrofit. The floor area was re-designed to fit the new seat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

have you looked at some of the mods users of the older style boats have done? boat seats, padded seats and things like that. with the aluminum tracks of old seat, you can just let your imagination go with what ever you can think of for seating.
i think you can do a search on here and see some of the mods of those seats. some/most are very very well thought out and well done.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I added a slider to my old style seat. It raised my seat about 5" plus I can slide my seat back and forth rather than adjusting the peddle. Raising the seat allows more storage under the seat plus a few additional inches in front of the seat for standing. It is also a lot easier to get up and down. I ride a little higher in the PA but that doesn't seem to matter much so far in big waves.

I can understand what you mean about the seat in the newer PA's. Having additional foot room while standing would be nice. I haven't really looked into it but would think there would be some sort of bracket system or other similar seat that may work. I'm curious as well and will check back at this post for options!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Everyone keeps talking about changing seats. One is trade or sell your old PA and get a new one. I have never had a problem with my 2012. You can put many different seats on this platform. Is it that important to keep up with the Jones's? Hobie has done a good job tryin to accomedate everyone. I think the new seat has restrictions. You cant add a swivel or slide. I also say, what if the cable broke? No place for storage behind the new seat. There is always room for improvements. I would love to work for Hobie to improve their fine products. But why?(I take that back, I would be a field engineer) when they are always turning out the best in the market. These are kayaks or personal fishing platforms. Do what you can with the ideas that the company comes up with. And there are some great ideas on this forum. But you cant have all the comforts with out sacerfice of other concepts. Shollow, speed, rowing, peddling, straight line or open, stream and salt or fresh water. So untill we can all walk on water, dont (censored).

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sooooo, a guy with a bad back or who simply finds the seat uncomfortable should smile and keep remembering that it's not the seat, it's the Jones' making his back ache?

or perhaps all the posters who ask about seat improvement want to keep the boats they have, and simply improve their posture without regard to the Jones boys.

if one visist any other forum, or mfgs forum one will certainly find a volume of posts about changing seats in basically every kayak brand that floats in brine or sweet and every tone in-between.

further, perhaps that ol' fella Hobie Jones has once again raised the bar and has er'ry one trying to figure out a way to put the vantage in their boats. heck, i've seen posts on other forums with guys asking about fitting a vantage seat in brand XXX kayak.

sour grapes, says i. lol.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've fished in the old style and I own the new with the Vantage seat. I'm not in good shape. I'm fat. I have a bad back and I'm not very flexible. I spent 5.5 or 6 hours in the old style seat and had no back issues. I've fished out of my new one quite a number of times now - the longest single trip being about 8.5 hours. No back issues at the end of the day.

However, there are two things that I consider a negative of the new seat over the old seat.
1 - The arms of the seat do get in my way at times. Seems the butt of my rod hits it a lot when fishing. I'm adjusting to it but it is an annoyance at times. Of course you can't turn/swivel and/or fish seated sideways.

2 - the rope used to adjust the seats will eventually weather and wear until they break. I plan to go ahead and order replacements to have on hand. It would suck to have to pedal very far with broken rope.

3 - Non-seat related, I miss the rod handle seat in the old boat. Not a huge deal and I'll come up with solution... maybe some foam.

Just some food for thought. Otherwise, I am in love with my Hobie. If I ever figure out how to make a living sitting in my kayak every day I'll be in heaven. LOL

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just some food for thought. Otherwise, I am in love with my Hobie. If I ever figure out how to make a living sitting in my kayak every day I'll be in heaven.

Amen Jiggy.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was really bummed when I found out the vantage seat didn't work with the older pro anglers cause I hate that seat. Its like sitting in a plastic laptop.
I did the next best thing though. There is a seat just as comfortable but its pricey, I picked up a tandem Native ultimate and used the front seat in the pro angler. Best thing I could have ever done as far as comfort is concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... ccqNntT9ys

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's nothing that can't be done. My PA is proof of that (i.e. the flush mount hatch I put on my 2012 PA). You don't need a piece of paper on the wall that says "I'm an engineer" nor do you need to work for Hobie or any other company to come up with great ideas. Be bold. Trust your ideas, tweak it, work it, make it happen. When someone says "that can't be done", prove them wrong. I did.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I visited the dealer to get some papaya plastic for hole repairs, I took a look at a new PA. Give me the cheesy black plastic parts and the seat and I will install it in my current PA. That said I prefer the seat that I have and would not want the new one. I did raise my seat three inches.

Some random Modification Pictures