Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler questions
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently bought a 2013 PA 14 and had a few of questions about it.

1. What are the bungees for that pull out from the side rails?

2. Is there any rudder upgrades/tweaks anyone would recommend? I find that the one I demoed was a whole lot more responsive than the one I picked up.

3. I bought a heavy duty cart and was wondering if anyone uses it to launch the kayak and then pops it out while in the water. I would have it tethered to the kayak of course.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler questions
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA12 but will offer what I can. I think the bungees you are referring to are used to lash down the rods you have in the horizontal rod holders. At least that's what I use mine for. There should also be a separate/loose bungee with a hook on it that can be attached to the boat and then attached to your mirage drive to keep the fins flush to the hull in situations where that might be desirable. Your boat should already have the steering drum upgrade but you might want to make sure your steering lines are taut and that the steering handle and rudder positions are true. I have rolled the boat into the water and then popped the wheels out. Doesn't work too bad but if you check this forum, you'll find that to be a much discussed subject. Just have to experiment and find what works for you. Hope this was some help. Still pretty new to this stuff so can only offer what I have discovered through trial and error. And error. And error. :lol: Good luck and have fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the cords coming out of the rails are to tie down you rods. The only time I use them is when I am transporting my already loaded PA to the launch site.

The rudder is the rudder. No upgrades available. There is a fairly recent thread where someone has made their own "larger" rudder with great success. Yes, check the rudder lines to make certain they are taut.

I have a trailer and usually back down to the water and slide the PA off the trailer. When I do need to use the cart to transport the PA to the water, I usually insert/lock the wheels onto the PA before heading to the launch. When I arrive at the launch, I put the bow of the PA into the water and then lift the rear of the PA so that the cart will fall onto dry ground.

When returning, I remove the mirage drive and cooler and simply turn the PA on its side and insert/lock the cart. I don't carry much gear on my PA, unlike some, and I have everything fairly well tied down so it doesn't fall out when I roll it on it's side.

Will you PA get scratched when you turn it on it's side. Yes, dependent if you are on dirt/mud/concrete/rocks. Some folks lay a piece of carpet on the ground to eliminate scratches. Where I fish, oysters have a tendency to find plastic boats without much effort. Couple of scratches on the side are good when compared to the bottom of a PA with oyster rash:)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I might look into the bigger rudder project. It makes sense for the bungee to be used for the rod holders, I guess i never noticed anything for it to clip on to hold the rods.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have had my PA 14 for about a month now, and out on the water twice. The bungees attach to already installed knobs under the seat at the edges of the storage area (to secure rods for transport). I have been using the HD scupper cart for my transportation to and from the truck bed, but have noticed a dent forming where the crossbar meets the hull. This is common and easily repaired, but I am looking for an alternative (possibly the PA specific dolly). I find my rudder to be a little too responsive actually, so your issue might be fixed with an adjustment.

Hope this helps. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I could never get the post clamps tight enough to keep my PA14 from pushing them down until the boat rests on the axle. So I cut some PVC as spacers below the post clamps. I used two diameters of PVC that nested together, and carefully measured so that I'd still have room at the top of the cart legs to use the keeper pin. Here's a pic that shows the PVC spacers (Viewed with the cart "upside down" wheels up)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used old tennis balls to help the cart fit snug in the scupper and take pressure off the cross bar. They also provide a cushion to protect the scupper.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've seen that before, nozlman. Do they allow you to still use the keeper pin?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes.... but it sometimes takes a little effort. Once the yak is resting on the cart, the pin is easy to insert. However, if I have the kayak up the air, it takes moderate to significant effort to insert the pin.