Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is what I came up with to get my loaded PA14 back on my trailer by myself. Usually I'll have help to carry it on, but this is still easier.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16V0zSMIHOc[/youtube]

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16V0zSMIHOc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Interesting take on launch/retrieve :)
Your launch process is great. Trailer further down ramp would reduce water entering over stern though :D
Problem here for me is retrieval.
If I used the same rig, other boaters at launch ramps would be very annoyed at time taken to load yak back on. The guy waiting on jetty behind you was very patient :D
I'd have had rocks thrown at me, (maybe with luck, a full can of beer or 2) not to mention the verbal abuse, if taking that long :roll:
Also, I think you would have to organise a more effective "guide on" with your retrieval rope/ramp.
There was no wind at all, which is fortunate for making of this vid and people waiting to bring their own boat/s in. Your "rope flicking" technique to get yak into position over the ramp with any cross breeze would be pretty much impossible with your current setup :?
Have a look at boat trailers with "V" type guides at rear to centre the bow. You may be able to use tubing, angled down and spread to achieve an easier retrieval process :?:
You could also seriously consider backing the trailer further into the water like most people do, up to about where axle hubs are. That way you may not need the "tube/wheel extention" at all. Just try it.....
I have a dinghy as well as yak and have installed a walkway down centre if my trailer so I can grab the bow and haul it up without even getting my wet feet or slipping over on launch ramps.
If you tie a long handling line (with a loop or clip) to a line tied between bow and stern handles it's very easy to then walk down the jetty to your trailer, then pull the yak over to load. The handling line will slide along the "bridle" rope towards the bow :D
You're obviously a creative person and I wish you well, and good luck.
Cheers :D

Last edited by rodrocket on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool video. I invested in waterproof lights so I can back into the water and launch power boat style. it's a ton easier. If I ever get a camera I will try to shoot video...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you're loading that way due to physical limitations it looks like you're working harder pulling the PA on the trailer from the front with the rope than just hauling it on by hand. I also have to agree it seems you're taking a lot of time assembling the PVC extensions and loading, especially at a small ramp with others waiting. I also have a PA-14 on a trailer, and I just back the trailer far enough in to have the rear of the trailer 6 - 12" above the water line and just lift the bow on the trailer on to the PVC (it isn't heavy with the most of the kayak still in the water) then either pull it up on the trailer by hand, or get behind it and lift/push it on. It take less than a minute and I don't tie up the ramp. Physical limitations aside, I'm 64 years old and I can load mine in a lot less time and effort than this method seems to take. Nice video and I know the second person was helping film, but if I was waiting for the ramp and saw you doing things that way with a second person standing by, I would have to ask why because it takes too much time, not to mention effort. Now after the negative, on a positive note, I like the idea of the PVC extension which I think may be a good idea for more difficult access, like down a bank or across mud or gravel, but definitely not at a ramp. It would save dragging the PA across mud, etc. and probably be easier dragging it up a bank (if not too steep) when by yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice, very nice. but a little to long on the ramp... I would try and remember to raise the rudder before loading... just in case it hits the pavement and slides off the PVC while loading.

Happy trails and good luck

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

With all the mods done to the HF trailer a PWC trailer would work. I use one and never get wet. In out like a boat. I would be giving you grief for tying up the launch so long. :mrgreen:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At a minimum you should have the extenders out and ready to snap onto the trailer mounted pipes. You might also wish to add a wench to the front of your trailer. Simply attach to your kayak and crank it up with the wench. I have added a wench to my trailer but only use it when the ramp/launch is steep.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just seems like a lot of work to me.
Why not just put the hobie cart in the scupper holes and drag the pa up the ramp?
When u get the trailer, raise nose of pa and push on the trailer!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Obviously this video was to illustrate the unloading and loading of a PA14 using his system without assistance. True it is time consuming but it does work. Personally if I see someone having trouble at the ramp, I usually lend a hand to speed things up. Two men could have those kayaks loaded in less than five minutes without use of ramps, etc. I had a PA 14 and it was a bear to load solo. That's why I sold it and got a PA 12- it's much easier. That PA 14 was also loaded to the gills- wow!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Key point just made in the above post. I have always found that if there are other kayakers around, they/I always volunteer to help load/launch the kayaks. Maybe they just look at a wrinkled old man and feel sorry for me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Herk wrote:
Obviously this video was to illustrate the unloading and loading of a PA14 using his system without assistance. True it is time consuming but it does work. Personally if I see someone having trouble at the ramp, I usually lend a hand to speed things up. Two men could have those kayaks loaded in less than five minutes without use of ramps, etc. I had a PA 14 and it was a bear to load solo. That's why I sold it and got a PA 12- it's much easier. That PA 14 was also loaded to the gills- wow!!

Thanks Herk. You've got it. I wanted to share my alternative way I would load my kayak by myself if I had to. The assembly of the ramp on the launch ramp was for video production purposes. It can be done prior to backing up, thus not tying up the launch ramp. The big benefit is that all of my gear (wow) remains on the kayak when loading and can be put away in the parking lot. It actually would take less time on the ramp if only dealing with my one PA.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I converted a jet ski trailer. It has a winch. I back down into the water to my back wheels. I can load without getting wet, but much faster if I get knee deep. I am usually wearing waders or it is warm, so I dont mind.

I can load from the ground to right onto the pvc bunks.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great idea! Time is of the essence however. Living in the northern states...I know I wouldn't want to set foot in the water with how early I get out when water is in the 30 degree range. One change I would suggest....switch to larger conduit on the trailer and have the smaller diamater telescope out. Simply use the pin to lock them in place and you could keep every thing attached. Pull two pins to extend it...and put them back in place..then slide it back in when your loaded. Pull up the ramp, strap it in and your ready to drive off without having to pull a drill out. You could also probably get away with adding a 45 to the end of each length and actually flare them out to the sides a bit to help center it as your pulling it on...then it would be a matter of backing the trailer up a bit farther and pulling it right up.

-2012 Seabird Design Expedition LV
-1987 Hobie 16
-2010 Stellar SES
-Hobie Fleet 291 Yankton, SD
-South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That's a good idea sdwalleye. If I use 3 inch pipe on the trailer, the 2 inch ramp can be slid inside. I think a "Y" push pole could be used to quickly guide it on the ramp too. That way I won't get wet at all. Thanks for your input.