Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For your viewing pleasure - After a lot of work during the fall and winter, I launched my refurbished Hobie 14 last week. I shot new gel-coat on the hulls, poly-glowed the blue decks (looks great and preserves the anti-skid pattern), put on a new trampoline that I traded a bunch of stuff for, barely used comptip mast that I bought for a steal, H20 tiller connectors, 6:1 mainsheet that I salvaged from an old boat, a like new 25-year old Fantasia sail (one of my favorite old patterns, I couldn't resist) that I found online for a cheap price, new standing and running rigging. If I could only get a deal on some EPOs 8) . She sailed great. I'm looking forward to racing her on a Portsmouth basis in some club events here in Knoxville this summer. Scroll on down to see both pictures.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NICE! Looks good..

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

She looks fantastic Mark
you'll be a giant killer racing portsmouth :mrgreen:

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, fellas. I've always had a fondness for the 14. Not only do I like the freedom of being able to sail any time that I want, regardless of whether I can find a crew or not, but I also enjoy the nostalgia of sailing the first Hobie Cat. Not to mention that the 14 in a stiff breeze is a lot of fun. My next "go-fast" trick will be to drop about 20 lbs . . .

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks great! Love those sails too!

Your tramp frame looks nice and black - did you re-anodize the parts?

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I'm glad you like the boat. Actually, I didn't touch the black anodized aluminum (or as my 7th grade science teacher used to call it "alunium" - no kidding - I grew up in Kentucky). What you see on the side rails is a blue rail carpet kit which is peeling off and will soon be replaced by black neoprene. The rear cross bar is faded quite a bit, however, what you see there is a new tiller crossbar just in front of it. A friend of mine had an extra one for a 16 and donated it to my project. I trimmed it down to size with a hack saw and installed the H20 tiller connectors on it. I really like those. I took my old tiller crossbar and trimmed it down and made a new(er) pair of straight tiller arms out of it. The old ones looked pretty ratty. Note that my starboard rudder isn't locked up. The upper rudder casting is worn quite a bit on that side and it won't lock. A new(er) one of those is on my wish list.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well it looks great! I like to two tone color with blue decks... I picked up a really nice H14 last year and eventually I'd like to 'refresh' it. I did a wet sand and polish on a spot on the back of the hull and the initial test turned out great. I'm confident that it will shine up nicely. Now all I need is to find the time! Your project is inspiring me!

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. The two-tone hulls used to be a common factory option back in the day. There were several variations utilizing different combinations of white, different shades of blue, yellow, lime green, tangerine, and even a goldish beige color. A yellow deck on a white hull was always my favorite. Still is. When I bought my new 16 in 2011, I had my dealer ask the folks at Hobie Cat if I could pay a few extra bucks and have them build a special order boat for me with yellow decks on white hulls. My idea was to put a blue mesh trampoline on it and also order a custom Hobie-built re-creation of the vintage yellow/white/blue (would have been a slightly different shade of blue) sail pattern from the early 70's, but the factory wouldn't make special order hulls, so the plan went down in flames. That boat would have been very distinctive and instantly recognizable and would have looked awesome. Oh well . . .

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD wrote:
but the factory wouldn't make special order hulls, so the plan went down in flames.

So my plan to have a special order carbon fiber 16 is out of the window! Damn! LOL!

I always thought a CF Hobie 16 would look bad ass... They could build one to the same weight as a regular 16 so there would be no weight advantage - purely aesthetics.

Here's a shot of my 14 in her current state: Image

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a nice looking boat too. Years ago, I used to have 16 with Blue Hawaii sails. One of my favorite classic sail patterns - I have a lot of favorites.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28