Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hit the lower Willamette River this past Saturday (day before Cinco de Mayo) with the plan being to split the day between sturgeon and bass. I was anchored up and fishing by 7:00am. I felt I had anchored up in the perfect spot where I was sitting right on the edge of an eddy. I figured the fish would be stacked up right along the current seam. After a ½ hour of no action I realized my original idea was wrong, but I decided to toss into the middle of the eddy before giving up on the spot.

That was a good decision. Within a minute of my anchovy hitting the bottom I felt that familiar tap, tap, tap. I started reeling hard to set the circle hook and I knew I had a good fish on! I was using a new Okuma rod with my Shimano Cardiff 400 reel. The drag was peeling and the rod was doing its job.

After a good battle I was able to wrestle this nice keeper sized up to the kayak.

I cast back out again and in very short order I had another great fighter on. Man those fish fought like demons on Sunday! After about a 10 minute battle I was able to bring the fish alongside the kayak. This fish looked to about 5’, maybe an inch or two less.

I tossed back out and wham, another big fish on! I was leaning on that rod hard, keeping as much pressure as I could on that fish.

I knew this was a huge fish. After about 15 minutes I finally got the fish moving off the bottom, I see bubbles, I am feeling good when all of a sudden that fish makes a tremendous power dive, the drag is screaming as it dives for the bottom. I give everything I have got to try and stop the fish. I am pushing hard on the reel handle when disaster hits. The gears start slipping on the reel. Here is what happened:

The handle assembly pulled out of the reel! I have not taken the reel apart to see what happened. I am guessing a retaining clip broke. Well, I still have the fish on. So I fight it in by using my thumb to hold the spool while I pump the fish up. On the drop I push the reel handle against the side plate to get it to catch just enough to wind in the low tension line. After what seemed like an eternity I get the fish back to the surface. It is about a 5.5’ fish. With the broken reel it is all I can do to get it unhooked.

I look at my destroyed reel and sigh. I pedal over and take my wounded warrior up to the truck. Fortunately I had brought my Tiger Stik/Saltist combo for backup. I get the big rod out and I am ready for revenge.

I anchor back up and catch nice keeper sized after nice keeper sized. A bunch of fish in the 4’ range and they all fight just incredibly hard. Every fish I hook takes a good chunk of line from a tight drag. A lot of fish in this size range:

I was having a great day and I did could not imagine it getting better. I tightened up on another fish and I was immediately hammered with a series of monstrous head shakes and then that fish took off like a rocket.

Each time I got over top of the fish and started to lift it would respond with a long sizzling run. (I know it is weird to use sizzling run for sturgeon, but this was one hot fish). Finally, after a hard 20 minute battle I was able to get the fish to the side of the kayak. Thanks to a fellow name Jeff for stopping on his jet ski to watch the battle and take a picture. He said that for a while he thought I was just hung on the bottom. This picture is deceptive, the fish looks small here due to the angle, but based upon my reach measurement it was about 6’ long and had the ugliest and most beat up lip I have seen on a sturgeon.

The good bite lasted until almost noon. I was really surprised since the outgoing ended around 10am. After the bite had slowed down (it never stopped completely) I got to chat with some nice guys in a boat who anchored up nearby. I lowered my last anchovy down and it soaked for a while when a fish just picked it up and swam off. No nibbling, no messing around. I tightened up on the fish and it was not happy. I felt some massive head shakes and then it took off. I clamped down and the line snapped. I had noticed the line was a little frayed after the previous fish, but I was lazy and did not re-tie since it was my last bait. I paid the price with the loss of a big fish.
So between 7am and 1pm I landed 15 sturgeon: 3 oversized, 10 in the slot and two good sized shakers. The smallest fish I caught all day was well over 30”, many of the keepers were towards the upper end of the slot. When I pulled up anchor at 1pm I was pretty tired (and was sore the next day).
I decided that since it was early I would give the smallmouth a try. The wind made the fishing tough and I fished from about 1pm-5:30pm and only caught one little one for all that effort.

Still, I left the river completely satisfied. I did not realize how tired I was until I pulled my loaded kayak up the ramp. I was exhausted, but I just could not stop grinning like an idiot the whole drive home.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love reading these reports. Keep it up with those Jurassic-type fish :)
Shimano Cardiff 400, now added to my black list. I am a big fan of the Daiwa Saltist though, hope you haven't had a problem with that reel!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jcanracer wrote:
I love reading these reports. Keep it up with those Jurassic-type fish :)
Shimano Cardiff 400, now added to my black list. I am a big fan of the Daiwa Saltist though, hope you haven't had a problem with that reel!

The funny thing is that I still like that Cardiff. I have a similar Ambassadeur and I find the Cardiff to be much smoother. Luckily, Shimano is really good in their parts department. I have repaired several reels and bought spools from them and they are always fast on getting the parts out. I guess that is a mixed blessing.

The Saltist 40A I have is simply marvelous. I would say that this is by far the nicest reel I have ever owned. It is just so silky to reel in, the clicker is strong and loud, the drag is smooth even when cranked down tight. I can't think of a single thing I would change on that reel. The one I bought was the demo at the local sports store and I got a great deal, but if I need another reel in this class I would gladly pay full price for one!

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Daiwa Saltist BG30 is my workhorse reel: vertical jigging, trolling plugs, and live-bait duty. Excellent reel for the price.

This is what I want to upgrade to before the next tournament:

Daiwa Saltist LD35h. Same size, but a tad lighter, stronger, lever vs star drag, and a bit more pricey. Hooray for Outdoor World giftcards! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you're ever in the market for a new reel, I have one I highly recommend and best part is that it is produced by charter captains here in VA.

Check out Release Reels, specifically the SG series. You'll like what you see!

http://www.releasereels.com

PowerTeam Lures - deadly on bass!!! use promo code "HANOVER" at checkout for a 15% discount

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hanover_Yakker wrote:
If you're ever in the market for a new reel, I have one I highly recommend and best part is that it is produced by charter captains here in VA.

Check out Release Reels, specifically the SG series. You'll like what you see!

http://www.releasereels.com

I have to admit, I am curious about those reels, but never having seen one in person or known anyone who has used them here in FL I probably won't go and buy one just yet. The SG is on my radar for the future though.