Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everyone! I will be purchasing my 1st Kayak ever next week. I am picking up a 2012 PA 14 and have a lot of different questions and concerns. I hope I can get back a lot feedback from this community.

I have a 1998 Dodge Durango with the factory crossbars, and am wondering if I would be able to transport the PA just like that with some straps or if I would have to purchase some type of rack? I don't have the money for a trailer yet, nor do I have a hitch, so my only option is car topping it at this time.

I live in an apartment complex so I have to store the Yak in the basement of our building. The walls, floors, and ceiling are all concrete and I am not allowed to attach anything such as a wall mount or ceiling rack. How can I store it when not in use? I was thinking of just buying some foam pads and laying it up right on the foam. Will that work? Or do I need to purchase or make some type of cradle? I have read through a lot of the different discussions on here but still have no clue what I can do.

I plan on purchasing the Lowrance Elite 4 Fishfinder/Chartplotter. Is that a good fishfinder/chartplotter, or can someone make a better recommendation? Is it difficult to install by myself or should I look for someone to help me or hire someone to do it professionally? I will be fishing mostly in Saltwater. Also does the battery come with it or do I have to find a battery separate? I was thinking of mounting the screen to where the sail mount is or would that be too far from me to have any use for it?

For the Kayak Cart I have read a lot about both the Hobie Plug in Cart as well as the Wheeleez. I know it's mostly personal opinions, but maybe we can have a vote for who likes which better to help me decide.

What is the best way to launch in the surf? I have no experience with kayaking and this will definitely be a learning process for me. I do plan on taking my Yak to the bay when the water warms up a little and practice how to get myself out of dangerous situations sduch as flipping it and getting back in etc. My brother will be learning with me as he is buying his 2013 PA 12 this week. Is there anything we should learn to do right away before taking them out in the open ocean?

Are there any accessories that I should be looking into getting? I already plan on getting a good PFD, Cart, Fishfinder, Safety Flag w/light, Anchor w/trolley, 2 rod holders, rod leashes or accessory leash to make sure everything is attached securely.

I can't wait to pick up my new yak next week. Waiting is the worst part. Thanks and Tight Lines!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Waiting is hard, use that time to read this forum. All you need to know is here. Welcome Aboard!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like mark stated just keep flipping through the pages here and most of your questions will be answered. One item I will add is hobie has a new scupper cart with large wide tires designed for soft sand, take a look at it too.

One big item to remember is to let someone know where you will be lauching from so they are aware of your launch plans. Plan on calling them once you've touched land again. I kayak alone a lot and my wife knows my departure place and I call her once I'm back in. Knowing your departure location gives rescuers a narrowed area to search if something happens. Place your name/phone number on an inside of a hatch cover.

Get used to moving your head around at all times, keep your ears open too. If you listen to a radio, keep the volumn so you can still hear a motor. I put my hand up and wave at boaters close to me. I want them to know I'm there and remember me in that area.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nothing wrong with storing it on its belly on the floor. Get yourself a tarp to lie it on or even better an old foam mattress. Just try to secure it to something some no-one can permanently borrow it!
In regards to launching in the surf, don't use the mirage drive until you clear the breakers. If you get pushed back onto a shallow area, you may break it. I wouldn't have a Fish finder attached either! If you get dumped and flipped going through the breakers its bye-bye fishfinder!
Good luck with it all and happy kayaking!

Rocket

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since you need both a roof rack and a basement storage solution, consider making a runner system out of two inch plastic pipe. Make it so you can secure it to the cross bars and so it is a stand alone on the basement floor. Use the crossbars to attach ratchet straps to hold the Yak on the roof. Put padeyes or D rings on the Yak for the straps. Put two forward from the front crossbar and two rearward from the rear crossbar. When you ratchet it down it will keep the Yak in place fore and aft and side to side. Spacing for the 2 inch pipe side to side is 11 1/2 inches. The two inch pipe is high enough that the sides and middle of the Yak will clear the crossbars preventing any denting at those points. Just pads will dent the Yak, I know. I went with pads at the suggestion of the dealer to begin with. I would just take ten foot lengths, drill a 5/8 hole in the top just forward of the front crossbar and just aft of the rear crossbar. Then get some steel conduit and some drill screws and attach a length of the conduit across the pipes to space them and to fit snug against the cross bar. The rear aft of the cross bar and the front ahead of the crossbar. Or vice versa either way causing the conduit to trap the runners between the crossbars. Tie the conduit to the crossbars when you want to transport the Yak. Slide it up on and attach the ratchet straps. It will ride great.

When you want to store the Yak. Just remove that runner conduit assembly and set it on the basement floor and load the Yak onto it. The pipe will bend to fit the curve of the hull and support it where it is strong and will not dent.

Just my two cents.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've decided to buy a hitch and bed extender and put the yak in my truck with the back seats down and the yak sticking out on the bed extender. At least until I can afford to buy a trailer. Will this work?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

will a hobie PA 14 fit inside the door of an apartment to store inside (just a standard outer door)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Better have a BIG apt otherwise you'll be sleeping on it. They are 38" wide. I suppose turning it on its side would work but will be a PITA! :o