Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Paddle
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried the electric paddle on a getaway? It looks very light and easy to carry/transport.

http://www.electricpaddle.com/how.html

Post subject: Re: Electric Paddle
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a 50# thrust electric motor mounted to the front leg of the wing on an 18 SX.
only about 1 - 1.5 knot speed.
battery connection and weight was an issue especially in salt water.

i now have a 2.5 gas 4 cycle mounted on back of Getaway.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Torqeedo 1003 on my Getaway. It'll push it at 10 knots wide open, and oddly, that feels too fast. Also will deplete the battery in about 20 minutes. It's comfortable at 6 knots, and the charge indicator says it'll go for 3 hours at that speed.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just mounted a Cheata bracket and a Minn Kota 30# thrust electric. Took it for a test run in calm water. Worked great. Only needed to run it on speed 3 out of 5. Not sure if the 30# will do the job in a blow or chop. Will need that type of weather to test again. If not then I will exchange it for 45# but want to keep size and weight to minimum. Most trolling batteries are too big and heavy so shopped around and decided on the SeaVolt PWC AGM 19. The sales rep at West Marine where I bought it has been using the same battery on his fishing boat electric and goes 4 hours +. I only need to get in and out of a marina or want it on days when wind might die. Battery weighs only 17 pounds and is small enough to fit in one of the Getaway storage boxes. Off-shelf battery boxes where too large to close the storage box lid so I bought a $7.00 sandwich soft cooler at K-Mart with a nylon zipper (to avoid accidental short across +-). Fits perfect. For now I just lift the cooler/battery out of the storage box, lash it to the tramp, plug in and go. (Cables don't reach otherwise). If the system works well I plan to install a Minn Kota female plug in the hull behind the cross bar and run wires inside the hull into the storage box (with a breaker) to the battery then change the standard Minn Kota wire ends over to a male plug so I don't need to deal with cables crossing over the tiller area. As light as the 30# is it seems I can just leave it mounted in the Cheata kick-up position and sail. The battery is so light and far enough forward that it will have little impact on performance. I figure I will simply need to offset the weight in the other hull with a six pack of my favorite beverage. :-)
Cheata bracket: http://www.cheatabrackets.com/page2.php
Battery: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... YjdEMqnAl8

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In my opinion, if you need a motor, gas is the way to go. I have a 2hp Honda 4 stroke. Completely self contained (no external gas tank) and only 27 lbs. Can push me along at about 8-10 knots. Full tank (about 1/2 gallon) is good for 7-8 miles. Starts first pull every time. Going on 4th year with it.