Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am planning on buying a 2012 Pro Angler 14 next week while my brother is buying a 2013 Pro Angler 12. I have been doing a lot of research and now I am really have second thoughts about getting the 2012. I don't know if I should spend the extra $700+ dollars on getting the 2013 Pro Angler 12 or $850+ on the 2013 Pro Angler 14. What are the major differences between the 2012 and 2013 models. Also is size the only difference between the 12 & 14? Is the additional money worth the new models? Please help as time is running out as I am going to buy the Yak in less than a week!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

14 vs 12 2013: 6 vs 4 horizontal rod holders to me is the only real difference except size and weight. Front hatch is huge on the 14.
2012 14 vs 2013 14: (13)New seat with all those adjustments(older model does not have side arms, could be a + or -) I have an older 14 and enjoy the fact it does not have sides arms on the seat. Older seat has no adjustments from the factory. A common mod to the older seat is to add a seat slider that raises it slightly and give the seat +/- extra 4 inches of travel. The newer seat also has the ability to be folded back giving more standing space plus their is a small storage area under seat. You can also easily remove the new seat and use on the beach / camp.
2013 14 has the Lowrance ready equipment( no holes really needed to run wires for power / ducer )
2013 14 has the flat tackle compartment like the 12s, where as the older 14 has the tackle system that protrudes(raised) up between your feet. I personally think the older tackle box compartment holds more stuff but it does restrict your foot placement when resting or standing.
2013 PA 14 also has holes pre-drilled for anchor trolley I believe. Also has the ability to move the rudder steering to one side or the other.
Is is worth the extra $850 - that is a Ford/Chevy? Some yes / some no.
Sounds like you are joining the Hobie family either way, so welcome.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What are you mainly going to be using it for? How much fishing will you be doing? How often will you be using it? All these need to answered before I could give you definitive answer.
The only certainty is that the 2013 will give you a better resale in the future if/when you decide to sell. Will it be $850 better? Only time will tell!

Rocket

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doesn't the 2013 PA has steering on both sides, one being the nice sized steering handle and the other being a smaller knob? You are able to switch sides of the knobs, I believe.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Buy the larger one. I have the 2013 PA14. I learned a lot from this forum and from people on YouTube.
Also recommend buying from Austin Canoe & Kayak. Local dealer wanted $800 more for shipping plus the sales tax.
ACK did not and I received the yak in less than 3 days. $200 shipping and no tax.
I also bought the sail kit.
I am fully rigged out now. Been out several times. Contact me and I will send videos etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be using it mainly for Saltwater fishing for Stripers, Bluefish, Fluke, Blackfish, and hopefully inshore tuna late fall when they come close to shore. I would also be using it up on Lake Ontario for brown trout, steelhead and salmon.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:00 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Congratulation either one is a great chose. If you review this and other forums you will get definite opinions as to which is PA is better. I currently have two 2013's one PA 14 and a PA12. Both are excellent fishing yaks. Both kayaks handle similarly speed/maneuvering/stability wise. I'm not about to start a seat discussion, as it is a very debated topic. The real advantages I noticed is the ease of rigging a wet transducer in a PA12 and New PA14's. (In my previous yaks I glued my transducers to the hull with marine Goop, with out problems, after about 5 min. the temperature was the same as others with wet transducers). The other issue is size and weight. Size and weight has more impact on land than water. the PA 14 is about 2 feet longer an inch wider and weighs about 20 more pounds.

When it's all said and done whichever you pic will be great.

Tight Lines

Tim

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I made my choice. I will be getting the 2013 PA14. I'll be picking it up on Friday!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:06 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Excellent... Tight Lines

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!