Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road trip travel tips?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This summer we are heading up to Seattle and then Vancouver with our TI in tow. My biggest concern is where we stop and spend the night. Is it secure? Can you park a VW Passat wagon towing your TI in the hotel parking lot (A surprisingly looong load)? That question is going to come up more than once. I will have to deal with it mostly in whatever halfway point I choose in Oregon and in Vancouver. My brother has a house in Seattle where we can drop the trailer if we want to travel without it. The other stops are still unknown.

Any ideas on hotels/motels that have “pull through” parking? I drove tractor trailer for three years and learned to parallel park a big rig. I’m just saying why do it if you dont have to?

I will have a hitch lock attached to the hitch, a receiver lock on the trailer, and will have cable locks securing the TI to the trailer. I know the cable locks will not be a huge obstacle to a thief, but I want to make them work for it. Naturally, any thing that can come off will come off and be stored out of sight in the car. Also thinking “ hidden” lashings securing the boat to the trailer. Not something you would spot in a hurry with a flashlight in the middle of the night while trying to steal a boat. Any thoughts?

Any good “learn from my mistakes” stories?

What spares and tools should I take for the trailer? How about the TI?

Can’t tell you how exciting this is. I have not sailed Vancouver bay thirty plus years. And it has been half that since I sailed in Seattle.

Looking forward to the upcoming Alameda event. Can’t wait to see those of you who are going to be there, there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There's a book called "The Next Exit." Get it. Lots of information on what's at every interstate exit in the country.

Personally I find that Super 8 motels have decent parking, although can be a bit grudgey for the wife. But usually I can eyeball the parking lot and figure out whether I can fit easily or not.

Measure your rig in a parking lot. You might come close to fitting in a regular parking space where you've got two rows. Do not park between two semi's if you aren't staying with your rig. You vehicle will be hidden and very easy to mess with.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At night you could put a cable lock through your wheels if they are spoked or take a tire off if you can't cable one. I'd also add a cable lock from the trailer to the hitch (where you hook the chains) or lock the chains. A sledge can take out your hitch lock.

Cables that can be cut with bolt cutter might not be the best but the more the better.

Make sure your hitch ball mount is locked not pinned into the hitch.

You could also add a couple hidden pin alarms. They are cheap and scream when separated. Just don't forget you have them! :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.alimed.com/alimed-basic-pull-pin-alarm.html

Anything to make a thief take longer.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought you could call a storage unit place and ask to leave it locked up in the open area but behind the main perimeter fence???

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sharrissmith :
Think about it, a TI is huge, I'm just not imagining a couple teenagers taking the boat off the trailer and running down the road with it over their heads (not going to happen). There is an advantage to being 19 ft long and two hundred lbs.
We travel a lot with our TI used to just keep it on the roof sometimes weeks at a time, and have never had problems. I still lock it up with motorcycle cable locks. I worry more about things like the Mirage drives and the sails, my motor, and our Scuba tanks and gear, those typically go into the motel room next to me and my 357.

I also contend that there is also a huge advantage to registering and titling the TI, if it were stolen it's much easier to trace (and pretty tough to sell), and the theft becomes I think in most states it would be classified as grand theft (a different ballgame "more hardcore" than just some kids just stole my kayak (LOL)). Also if titled it is much easier to file insurance claims and such.
Another big deal in my opinion is leaving and coming back into the US, it's a very good idea to have all your paperwork in order.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've trailered my race/show car all over east of the mississippi and never had an issue in any motel parking lot with parking - but - do yourself and everyone else a favor and park away from the main area. Usually there's overflow out back or around the side. If you cant find a two-space pull through, go for the outside perimeter alongside the curb. If you can back it in where there's something behind you (like a dumpster) thats even better as they cant take the trailer easily.

You can also ask when making reservations if they have an area to park your car and trailer. I like to get a room right outside where I'm parked if possible so I can keep an eye/ear on things

I'd also look for a way to lock the yak to the trailer through the mirage drive hole - long cable lock or chain. Best chain is the hex shaped links as they are much harder to cut with a bolt cutter.

... remember deterrance is your best ally - the harder you make it for them to take something, the more likely they'll be to look for an easier target.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spare tire, lug wrench that fits your trailer tires, install bearing buddies, grease gun, jack that will work with your trailer (this may be the same one as your vw but maybe not, best to check), extra fuses, extra bulbs for the trailer tail lights, and a photocopy of the trailer license plate

J

the TI3 rear ama mod