Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for getting a tandem kayak. There are some questions I have concerning the Mirage system.

1. Is it possible to go on a tandem mirage kayak solo? Will balancing be an issue etc
2. I am 6'4". How much leg space does the pedal system give you? Not sure if I will be comfortable.

Now onto my Plan B. Paddle Kayak between the Kona and Odyssey.

- The only difference I see between the Kona and Odyssey is the length. Both of these are capable of converting to a solo person kayak correct?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With your height it's 99% certain the Oasis is the tandem to go for. The alternative Outfitter is better suited to smaller/lighter people:
1. it has less buoyancy and IMO not really enough to support a couple of big adults - bear in mind that for a tandem it is a very short boat.
2. the floor of the rear cockpit of the Outfitter is too high for big feet - I found my heels tended to come awkwardly into contact with the deck at the end of every pedal stroke which was tiring and not conducive to long sessions
3. It may be a misperception because I don't think I ever sat in it but I think that the front cockpit was quite a bit shorter than the rear (might actually be only a few inches if anything but it certainly appeared to be that way)

Definitely you can solo them - on the newer model from the front or rear cockpit (steering in both) whereas the older model you had to solo from the rear cockpit. Soloing from the rear, the technique is to add ballast in the front cockpit; it may not be necessary to add so much ballast in the rear if soloing the new models from the front because your body weight will lie more centrally in the boat; others with this model may be able to advise.

Re the leg space: You should trial the boat for yourself but if that really is not possible then the following may help:- I am guessing that the distance between the seat and the drive slot will be pretty much the same between all the models. When I lifted the drive from my Adventure to use it in my Outfitter Tandem it ewas not necessary to readjust the pedals (confirming this assumption between Adventure and Outfitter rear cockpit only). The pedals are adjustable to meet the feet - further in for shorter pedallers further out for longer pedallers - and the drive functions exactly the same way irrespective of pedal adjustment. I am 6'2" & I am pretty sure that there's more than an extra two inches adjustment on the drive in my Adventure - I certainly don't have the pedals set on the fullest extension and if I remember right I think there are two 'notches' more length still to go when the drive is adjusted perfectly for me. It is going to depend on your particular shape and length but, on the basis of the above, my suspicion is that you should a) fit into at least one of the cockpits, b) be able to adjust the drive to suit your leg length, and c) get reasonably comfortable depending, of course, on your definition of comfort. Others may want to add their experience of the actual boat and/or a sea-trial will confirm this one way or the other.

Re your plan b: try the Mirage Drive boats first :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with stobbo.I have used the oasis both in our tail water, and the lake solo. Everything from sailing to fishing. I am a bit smaller than you, 5-11" and 200lb. I generally use my cooler and possibly a rock or two for front ballast.
The mirage system will adjust to fit you long legs and all. I think you will find the oasis a bad azz kayak.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to have the Kona. I was 5"8 210 at the time and enjoyed it solo, however it was challenging with my tiny 100lb wife in the front- Always felt that it was pushing capacity.

We tried the Oasis together and enjoyed! See if you can test them out together

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi MPeel,

All of the tandem kayaks can be used either as tandems or solo. The paddle kayaks have the advantage of an adjustable seat system allowing the weight to be distributed according to its' use. That being said the pedal kayaks offer such versatility that the single advantage of the paddle kayaks is outweighed by that versatility. At your height the longer kayaks of each type is the way to go simply by the additional legroom. I've had my Oasis(the older style) for three years and I've found it to be the most versatile boat I've ever owned. There have been some days that I've been in shallow water and spent most of the day paddling. Most of the time however, I use the Mirage Drive and/or also the sail to really clip along. When using the kayak solo ballast can really help but it is not absolutely necessary. The picture below show what happens without ballast;
As you can see the front end of the boat rises up causing the boat to push a lot of water off the side rather than cutting through it thus slowing it down. It also makes the boat susceptible to having the wind catch the bow and throw the boat to leeward. The next picture shows the ballast I use which consists of 2 gallon kitty liter containers (They're really cheap if you own cats). I fill these up with water when I launch so I don't have to pack a lot of weight around. I use six of these which is just under 100#'s. That may seem like a lot of weight but remember we don't go uphill with these boats like you might with a bicycle so the weight doesn't mean that much once you get the boat moving.
Stobbo was right about the newer models. The balance issue is a little different when sitting in the front.
The other good thing about the longer kayaks is how much weight they are capable of carrying. The Oasis can carry 550#'s without a problem. The picture below shows another guy and myself under sail. We both weigh in at around 200#'s each. What the picture doesn't show is the case of beer stashed in the hull. With all of that weight and the boat heeling towards the camera check out all the freeboard left. These boats come with some capacity to carry a lot safely.
As you can guess my recommendation to you is to seriously consider and Oasis. Especially the newer model. I don't think you can find a more versatile kayak. Good Luck in you search! 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all very much for all the great information! I will definitely contact the hobie dealer and try get a test ride with the mirage system. Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you search on this forum, there are many threads about soloing in tandems - it is a common question. The answers usually say the same thing - that the Oasis is the best tandem Hobie, and that you can solo it fine. I fish solo out of mine a lot, and the only times I have a problem is with surf. Because the balance is never ideal while soloing, and balance is almost everything in surf, I huli most times on landing. I keep telling myself that I need to try landing backwards, but I always end up coming in bow first and dumping, except on the calmest days. (I solo from the front BTW.) I fish the ocean quite a bit, and the Oasis handles it fine. The extra room comes in handy for the crab trap and heavy game clips :D

My 6'3" son has no problem using a Mirage drive, and I know several other guys as tall or taller that have Mirage drive kayaks and have no complaints about the leg room. Most people find out that they don't full stroke the pedals anyway. The Mirage drive is very efficient, and there is seldom need to really stroke it out.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 6'3", 280lbs & the 2013 Oasis works Great. Just picked mine up about 3 weeks ago. I use the Mirage drive at the farthest setting it has: #7. I can't have my legs completely straight, but locking my knees would not be a good thing anyway.

I have yet to try it by myself other than the first 10 minutes I took it out to prove to my wife that I could handle it & it was safe:)

The Oasis & Mirage drive are just incredible. I highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm 270' and solo my 2011 Oasis more often than not and use the rear seat. Ballast is a key factor, but once key'ed in, you're good to go.

I use a Thule Hullavator system to haul it. The Oasis is an extemely versatile and capable craft. After much research for proper ballast for myself, a guy at 270' this is what works best for me. When full of water this Sumo Sac 125 ballast bag adds 125' lbs. but I never have to fill it totally. Maybe around 3/4 full and I secure it far forward with the front bunge and it has a low, non bulky profile and the boat is trimmed out just right.

The Oasis is one very fast, and capable battleship.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune