Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

through an unusual turn of circumstance i'm getting a new old stock 2010 oasis (pre-redesign -- 2009 hull). my primary use of this boat will be long distance touring in fresh water.

i've been looking at hull protection possibilities. after doing a ton of reading here and around the 'net i've boiled it all down to these ...

keelguard and keelshield both seem great, but a little expensive ... and really they're made more for "real" boats, meaning those with engines and definitive bows -- rather than a kayak (which in these respects is something closer to a plastic cigar holder).

keeleazy (http://keeleazy.com/), however, seems like a better bet to me. cheaper, lighter and more "to purpose."

i'm the first to admit that keel protection on any plastic kayak is as much, if not more, about vanity than practicality ... the amount of true "protection" you're getting from a covering is minimal compared to what the boat is capable of enduring over time ... still a boat's only new once, as is a chance for prophylactic protection (_your_joke_goes_here_) ... if i'm going to do it, i'd rather do it now while everything is pristine.

any/all comments about the necessity of doing this, as well as the choice i'm leaning toward, are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shouldn't bother if I were you.... unless you are regularly dragging your boat over oyster beds. Spend your money on better fishing kit or save it to buy a sail or to retire early (so that you can spend more time kayaking).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use Gorilla tape/red color on the bottom of mine. Works great & matches pretty well. Havent had to readjust yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i regularly drag my boat up and down concrete ramps, gravel kayak ramps, across oyster beds and in the driveway.
you can find the keel protector material on ebay for a couple of bucks a foot. i only need about 6 feet to protect a PA, so you would need even less i suppose.
it's a cheap life-entender.

cheers.
drew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Concrete boat ramps can chew up the keel of your kayak very quickly. I added the keeleazy to the bow of my PA. For the few dollars investment it was a good deal. Remember, if you take care of your stuff, it will take care of you :!:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i went ahead and put keeleazy on the boat. 14' is more than enough for an oasis -- even with considerable amounts running up the bow and stern.

the bends from the bottom are fairly acute and even with a lot of heatgunning the tape didn't go fully flush and required some trimming.

i chose a complimentary color because:

1. i like the look.

but more importantly

2. it's easier to see what's boat and what's tape over time.

this is 2" width tape. even though i think the 3" (or especially) 4" tape would be better ... those were available in black, white or grey only and i wanted a heavier color conflict.

not perfect, to be sure. i'd be more worried about it if it wasn't primarily a cosmetic experiment on my part ... and it's all gonna get chewed up anyway.

i have no idea how well this will hold/work and will post an update in the future.

(and please, no offense, stobbo. i don't want to get face-punched the first time i lay my eyes on NZ.)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why would I be offended?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Why would I be offended?

well there's nothing like someone asking for advice, you being good natured enough to openly and readily provide it, and then have your insight "ignored." i suspect there are many people (at least N of the equator) that might take it personally...

everyone on this board already knows this, but it's worth repeating, your participation here is absolutely superlative. it makes my ownership of a hobie more valuable.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nah, definitely not me! Actually i like the look of that keelguard stuff since i am always catching the keel of my boat at the stern on concrete driveway ramps when pulling it back up the road to my house. I am coming to visit the US of A (San Fran) in June & might try to find some for myself while I am there. Is it readily available at kayak retil stores or is it something that has to be sought out?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't seen any at any Kayak shops, i think you have to special order it. I have read that some guys use Gorilla tape on the bottom of their yaks to great effect so that may be worth trying for a cheaper alternative.