Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've recently acquired a '99 wave that needed a little TLC, and discovered that the main block bracket on the rear crossbar is very loose due to the screws having backed out from the hex-head nuts inside the bar. I've tried applying upward force from beneath the screw head to get the hex nuts to bite, but they seem to be "seized up" to the shaft of the screw .. There's about an 1/8" of vertical play between the top of the screw head and the crossbar. I'm just not confident in the integrity of this bracket like this if it were under a nice load from the main. So, if you could imagine a nice tight main bracket on the rear crossbar, and back the screws out an 1/8", that's what I'm dealing with. Any advice will do ! heheh

cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

neurodragon wrote:
I've recently acquired a '99 wave that needed a little TLC, and discovered that the main block bracket on the rear crossbar is very loose due to the screws having backed out from the hex-head nuts inside the bar. I've tried applying upward force from beneath the screw head to get the hex nuts to bite, but they seem to be "seized up" to the shaft of the screw .. There's about an 1/8" of vertical play between the top of the screw head and the crossbar. I'm just not confident in the integrity of this bracket like this if it were under a nice load from the main. So, if you could imagine a nice tight main bracket on the rear crossbar, and back the screws out an 1/8", that's what I'm dealing with. Any advice will do ! heheh

cheers,
David

They are usually riveted on.

Just cut the screws and reattach it with SS rivets.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine were screwed on as well. SS rivets. If you don't have this, http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305349_200305349

get it. Works great. Installed my traveler with it. Worth its weight in gold! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent ! Rivets it shall be then ! Thanks for the quick replies guys ~

hike hard !
david

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Admin

We don't use rivets anymore. They stretch and become loose. They then cause wear and corrosion issues. newer boats (for many years now) have screws with nuts inside the beam. At some point (again several / many years ago) we added an access hole on the bottom side of the beam for direct access for installation and tensioning. If you have a small cap below... that is it. If not, you can drill a hole.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
We don't use rivets anymore. They stretch and become loose.

I guess I'm not pulling on the mainsheet hard enough! :lol:

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE :

After consulting with the local Wave gestapo, I zip-tied a wrench to the end of a broomstick, marked the length of insert and alignment with a marker, and managed to grab the frozen nuts and back out the old screws. I bought some SS 10/32 screws with NYLOK nuts and used the same process to secure the eyestrap back, nice and tight .. [ Also, I added some small washers to go between the nuts and inside of the crossbar for extra hold since the holes had "stretched" a bit from the flopping of the loose screws previously ]
In the future I think I'll upgrade to a traveler kit, but this will suffice for now ! Thanks for the input guys ~