Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze Help
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey there Hobie world. I recently bought myself my first H16 and had some questions about the trap system. Where does the shock cord run under the tramp? My tramp is home-made so there are no grommets to run the cord. And does anyone know of any good diagrams that show the rigging?

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject: Re: Trapeze Help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Grommets aren't essential....Hobie only started that a few years ago. I have them, but don't use them. Just run the shock cord outside the side rail and under the tramp to the other side.

No diagram, but, in the simplest system, the shock cord runs up from outside the siderail and just above the side rail it's tied/hooked/hog-ringed to a (~2.5') piece of (~3/16") line. The line goes up though the thimble in the bottom of the trap wire, then through a rope lock (for height adjustment), then it's tied to dogbone, J&H handle, or whatever youve got. They can be more sophisticated.....microblocks attached to the trap wire thimble make the line run smoother. Some even have purshase and jam cleats to adjust height while trapped out. {With the dogbone, you can use the upper ring for when you're further forward (beating) and the lower ring for when your further aft (off the wind)}.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

this is the simplest one i've seen, it helped me rig mine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone popped grommets in their tramp to run the trap wires through? My carpet on the side rails is getting all torn up from the elastic cord.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No but i have repleced once all the grommets on my H 16 tramp
And last week I made one for the spi haleyard on my Wildcat tramp

You can buy some tools for it ,and it,s very simple to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uslIa0Ddtc
Somewhere by 1 min 35 sec

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach - I had he same problem with the carpet on my side rails years ago, so I replaced them with the neoprene rail kit. I had the same problem with the shock cord cutting into the neoprene, so a few years ago I replaced the standard shock cord for the trapeze with a shock cord the had a smaller diameter and wasn't as strong - it was easier to stretch. That solved the problem. The tapeze returns to it's position when I'm not trapped out; It holds it's position as well as the thicker shockcord used to; and It doesn't cut into the neoprene. No need to pop grommets into the trap.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went to the trouble of added some new grommets to my tramp for my bungee to pass through and found those bungees constantly in my way. :shock:

The tramp is already small, add some bungees in a fixed location and it gets tiny.... :?

I will change my set up this year to what Dave Bell did to his.... :D

Maybe he will repost his setup so I get it right this time, thanks Dave............

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill 404 wrote:
I went to the trouble of added some new grommets to my tramp for my bungee to pass through and found those bungees constantly in my way. :shock:

The tramp is already small, add some bungees in a fixed location and it gets tiny.... :?

I will change my set up this year to what Dave Bell did to his.... :D

Maybe he will repost his setup so I get it right this time, thanks Dave............

Hey Bill, I attached mine to the hulls. This absolutely minimizes any interference on the tramp. It worked out fine for me. It looks a little complicated but is actually quite simple. The extra bungee length also allows you to move as far aft as needed without the resistance of being pulled forward.

Because of the way it's set up, it makes rigging a lot easier as the bungee lines are already in place. All you need to do is to raise the return line up (as seen in the first pic) and connect it to the trap line. It also keeps all the rail rugs from wearing.

Mini blocks make for a sound anchor for the return length.

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that class legal ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sharkfeed2000 wrote:
Is that class legal ?

It's never been protested but maybe that's because I've never challenged any of the leaders during a regatta !!! :lol:
But seriously, Matt Bound said that there may be an issue with the drilled holes in the lip of the hull. He knows the rule book much better that I. However, I've seen many holes drilled in the lips of hulls in the installation of the Hawaiian righting systems. Also know that this configuration is not mine. It's Hobie's. The only difference is the points of attachments and the number of reciprocating lines. In the Hobie configuration, the points of attachment are on the tramp itself, plus the return lines come up through grommets in the tramp. That just seemed to be too much stress on the tramp for me. If you're really concerned, you may want to check the rulebook concerning the drilled holes. What I CAN say is that this return system is a dream, especially when you're off the stern. It allows you to go aft as far as you need to without the tension of the return line pulling you forward. :)

David

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't think drilled holes are illegal in the rules because your allowed to mount a foot strap on the hull.

Rule 6.7 states: 6.7 Foot straps may be installed on the crossbars, sidebars or hulls.

Most of the foot straps I have seen are a rope covered in a clear plastic hose, drilled through the rail and tied in a knot underneath. Based on this I would assume Davids setup is legal. Maybe Matt can comment? :?:

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 wrote:

Hey Bill, I attached mine to the hulls. This absolutely minimizes any interference on the tramp. It worked out fine for me. It looks a little complicated but is actually quite simple. The extra bungee length also allows you to move as far aft as needed without the resistance of being pulled forward.

Hey DavidBell47, I really like your setup and while I'm my own restoration project I figure I should implement this. How far back from the shroud anchor point did you mount the rear set of trap lines and do you know how many feet of shock cord you used for this?

2010 NACRA Infusion
2004 F18 Hobie Tiger - SOLD
Hobie 16 - BREAKPOINT - SOLD

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David, really nice setup. As you say, it's basically Hobie's 14709 "trapeze rig return system" rig, but mounting it to the hull looks like a really convenient mod! I'm going to order that for my '00.

What are you using for rail rug? Looks like a mountain bike tire.. :)

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like Hydroturf.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TiberiusGV wrote:
DavidBell47 wrote:

Hey DavidBell47, I really like your setup and while I'm my own restoration project I figure I should implement this. How far back from the shroud anchor point did you mount the rear set of trap lines and do you know how many feet of shock cord you used for this?

The distance from the shroud mount to the skipper's shock cord connection will vary. I made my assessment based on the size of my crew. I would recommend about 18 inches but if you have a "tree trunk" for a crew, you may want to go a little further.
You may want to acquire approx 70 feet of 1/4 inch shock cord as each cord (2 cords) will have to stretch across the beam 3 times. You will use less than that actual length as you will have to add enough tension to each side so that the cord will reach from mini block that's attached to the hull to the trap wire itself. I also looped each end of the shock cord and clamped the end with hog-nose clamps covering the clamp with friction tape to prevent any possible injury.
See pic below for approximate distance.

Also know that this setup is much easier to rig, as your return system, once constructed, is already in place. All you have to do after stepping the mast is to extend the shock cords from their unextended position to the trap wire, respectively.

David