Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I replaced the jib halyard/forestay assembly recently and noticed a big difference in the amount of slack in the shrouds and stay until the jib goes up. The mast is so loose that I wonder if it could almost pop out of the mast base in the time that it takes to launch the boat and get the jib up. Is that normal?

I also replaced the mast hinge/pin assembly. The old one was difficult to use - the new one isn't much better. In order to insert or remove the pin from the base I have to release the forestay, carefully lean the mast backwards a few feet (makes me nervous because it could pop out of the base) and only then can the pin fit through the hinge and mast base holes. Is that normal?

Thanks for your help,

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It sounds like you put a newer (longer) forestay/jib halyard assembly on an older boat. If you were to replace the shrouds as well, you would probably find that the slack would be much less since they are now shorter. This would be fine because you would be able to get optimal mast rake.

I don't know what's up with you mast stepping pin. Bent? Upside down? I just replaced mine and it is a big improvement. I have to push my mast forward (tighten jib halyard) a little to remove the pin easily though. If you have to bring your mast that far aft to remove or insert the pin, just think about how much stress is in the bracket when the mast is all the way up. No, I don't think that is normal.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually I measured the new forestay against the old one - they were the same length - the old forestay was improperly rigged at the tang - instead of connecting to the bottom of the halyard/stay block assembly we had it connected directly to the upper tang which is why the new one (now properly rigged) is so much looser. It just seems like it's scary loose.

Maybe I should check my lengths.

How long should the forestay be?

How long should the shrouds be?

Thanks!

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:26 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Go here for the current line and wire lengths.

Note that finished wire lengths are pin-to-pin (inside thimble)