Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAN OVER BOARD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, Sailing the Getaway last fall it struck me that being so well balanced if I fell off single handed the cat would sail away leaving me to meet my maker! What are your solutions, do you tie your self on which may be interesting in a capsize or put an elastic cord on the tiller to turn the boat if one should let go? Is there a common solution? trimming for weather helm doesn't work off the wind.

Post subject: Re: MAN OVER BOARD
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Steering will vary greatly by sail trim, so there is no good way to plan for it... I've been there, done that when a few miles off shore. Had a Hobie 16 sail away after breaking a trapeze harness hook. Plop, plop, swim in... oh what a relief it is... to see another boat and get picked up!

There are many ideas including the safety line, but that can tangle and cause issues as well. Carry a radio and smoke? For sure wear your PFD at ALL times.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ocean sailing and some large lakes you want a VHF radio that goes in your PDF. Otherwise, cell phone in a waterproof case in your PDF. You can also drag a line astern of your boat (about 200 feet long). If you're really nervous, you can do a lifeline attached to your PDF and the boat. Can't say I've ever seen it on a boat as small as a beach cat, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. And set your boat with a bit of weather helm.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail on one of the great lakes, and I've had the exact same thing occur to me, especially when its really blowing, and I'm by myself.

I decided that it's too dangerous to tie myself to the boat, as there's no way I could reel myself in if it was moving at speed. Since I don't sail when it's really cold, I decided the best way was to just to make sure I had the right gear for when it eventually does happen.

So, I got a little dry bag for my iPhone, kind of like this one:
http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/docu ... se/product

It has a vinyl clear window, that lets the touchscreen on the iPhone work without having to remove it from the case. I clip it to a d-hook on my pfd, and fold it into one of the chest-pockets on my pfd.

In my contacts list, I have the mobile contact information for two neighbours who also have cats, and we watch out for each other all the time.

I also take a lesson from my pilot days, and file a "flight plan" with my wife and/or kids.

Just to make sure my system worked, I tried texting and calling home while two miles offshore last summer. Good cellphone reception on the water, because there is nothing to block it. Worked as planned.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail my getaway on Lake Michigan. I always wear a PDF with VHF radio attached and Wrist mounted GPS. I also wear a wet suit most days. If I were to go overboard I stay warm, know where I am and can call the Coast Guard as well as local fishing boats.

I also stay within a mile of shore.