Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New sail questions
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I hoisted my new sail for the first time as spring is here and I'm working on my 83.

It was easy (For the first time) to see proper or improper batten tension... (compared to my old sails that weren't this apparent). After the time up in the sun the sail really smoothed out and took a nice shape.

EXCEPT just above the boom in the center, there appeared to be a loose pocket. I reefed her down tight and this sloppy pocket remained. Is this normal or how to eliminate it?

_______

Also Is there some video lesson one how to fold up a sail for storing? Older sails were easy, but this one is new and REALLY STIFF... and springs back open, I hate to really force any folds are roll to tight as it's pristine... practically like a sheet or aluminum in how it moves/bends.

I hate kinking it - so really would love to know best way to roll it up.

Post subject: Re: New sail questions
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My boat's a 2011 and still has the same thing from what you describe, my locale dealer said it would work out after the sails got wet. Well, 2 years of sailing and she has yet to let me go over, recovered from every F-up I've made. Love my boat!

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rojoyinc wrote:
Also Is there some video lesson one how to fold up a sail for storing?
Roll your dry sail (not too tightly) for storage and keep it in a sail bag. You're right, folding it will make creases. Store it in a cool, dry place out of the sun and safe from vermin who would make a nest in it.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I fold my main over at the top batten, and then start rolling. I don't know if its the "correct" way or not, but its hard to roll the sail from the top down straight from the head of the sail...

Have a Hobie Day!

Sent from Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Rojoyinc wrote:
EXCEPT just above the boom in the center, there appeared to be a loose pocket. I reefed her down tight and this sloppy pocket remained. Is this normal or how to eliminate it?
The shelf above the boom is normal. The sail is not a flat piece of material. There are curves in the panel seams (broad seaming) and curves in the luff and foot that give the sail its 3D shape when it's bent on to straight spars (mast and boom). The sail wouldn't work properly if it didn't have this 3D shape. It's not necessary to crank things down tight in an attempt to remove wrinkles - in fact, you can ruin the shape and prematurely age the sail by over-doing that.