Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Morring Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello

I am looking for suggestion
I just got my first Hobie 16. I want to keep it at our trailer in southern Ontario on small lake. What is the best way to keep the boat, what I am asking for is; mooring to the pier, mooring to buoy, or keep it on the shore? I think we should be able to use it over the weekend few times per month.
Suggestions appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Morring Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Mooring = bad idea.

Mooring has several issues. The hull materials are not fully sealed for long term immersion. You need a bottom paint to prohibit the water absorption into the materials. Constant motion of the water causes accelerated wear on parts. Best pulled ashore or onto a float.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

never moor in the water other than very short periods of time.

Pull up out of the water, either on the pier or on land.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is a bottom paint?
There are an older hulls and have few dings and scratches, what are the procedure to refinish the surface?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What Matt said. My father-in-law moored my 16 for two weeks on a large lake and the constant movement and loose rig wrecked the standing rigging, the hulls had stains which were difficult to remove, and the design of the boat doesn't let it round into the wind easily so it was often pulling on the mooring line and just putting stress on the boat in general.

Don't moor it. Pull it ashore, or on a dock. Some folks who don't have a beach and/or steep shoreline have made inexpensive docks using portable dock pilings and 2x4s with all-season carpet secured to them. Others have built ramps from the shore to water and used a winch to get the boat in and out of the water.

On the other hand, I've beached a Hobie with the sterns in the water (because the "beach" is too short) for two weeks of regular sailing without signs of stains or water damage. Bottom line: keep it out of the water until you're sailing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mooring can be done for short time frames, but I would suggest against it for longer time frames. We regulararly moor our Hobies for a day or two on our freshwater lake in MN. I will even leave the sail up for a day (wx permitting).

Tips:

Don't do it on a windy day.

Make your own "mooring bridle". I ran a small rope from each front cleat on my hulls to make a V going forward. I have it tied off to a clip that I clip to the center of my dolphin striker (H-18).

On a H-18, take the boom down and let it sit on the tramp. Un-hook the mainsail from the boom and let it windvane. This will reduce the pressure of the boat to dart around when the wind gusts.

Good luck. Requires constant attention. Do not do it in winds or bad weather. Hope this helps.