Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I noticed in the options section on the main page for the i14t that the evolve electric motor is listed. I remember reading from one of the posts that it wasn't recommended for an inflatable. Did something change and it's now safe to use? Any limitations in using with an inflatable? How do you hide the wires? Does it matter where you place the motor - front mount, back mount or the rudder?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yesterday at the Düsseldorf Boot fair I've asked the people from catawest (german hobie dealer), whether the evolve drive fits in the MirageDrive well of an i14t or not. They said "no", even tried to push it in but without success.
Does the evolve really not fit into the well of an inflatable? Why?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Admin

We have a specific kit for the inflatables which uses a longer column which makes the fit through the i drive well.

72021040 EVOLVE TORQEEDO MOTOR KIT - i
INFLATABLE KAYAK KIT

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking to buy the evolve motor for the i14t with the solar kit but need advice. Does anyone own an evolve for this model? how does it handle? I usually sit in the back seat and want to maintain control of the throttle and use the motor in the rear well. Can you use it from the back seat? Where does the battery go? Are the cables long enough to reach to the back well? How does the solar kit work? Where does it go? Thanks for any advice and help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think Matt answered most of your questions. I'd add that the i-series boats are not structurally designed to take a rudder mount for the evolve torqueedo which is why that motor is only offered as a mirage mount, at least that's my understanding.

Seems like you either stick with the Hobie evolve torqueedo or you make a DIY mount.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made my decision and purchased the evolve motor for the inflatable! Was nervous about spending the money with hardly any reviews using it in an inflatable, but after installing and using it, it was well worth the price. It wasn't to hard to install - needed to make some holes in the front plastic compartment using a circle cutter on my drill. After being very careful to not puncture the boat I was then able insert and install all the included connectors. The battery is able to sit inside the front compartment with the cables coming out the drilled holes. I put the evolve motor in the front well and connected the throttle in the back where I sit. Needed to glue on the holder for the throttle, which made me a little nervous as I wasn't exactly sure where to install it, and once it's glued down it can't be moved. The spot I picked, worked out just fine. We were out on the boat two times so far and it's fun to use. My spouse sits up front and no longer has to peddle. She just sits back and relaxes. I work the motor from the back in conjunction with peddling at my leisure. We were out on the water each time for about three hours and still had about 40% battery life left upon our return back to shore. I would try to stay in a speed of about 2.5 to 3 mph just using the motor and then peddling in addition only at certain times to bring us up to speed of about 4 to 5 mph. This would provide a relaxing pace with just minor exercise. It's fun to watch people starring at us thinking what the heck kind of boat are those people driving. For anyone contemplating if they should buy an evolve motor for an inflatable, I would say if you can afford it, then buy it.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have another question Matt,

If I get the adaptor kit for the evolve and I14T, is it possible to be easily converted back and used with my adventure island? So I could use it for either boat?

I'm considering purchasing an I14T and possibly an evolve in the near future.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

The i series eVolve can be used in a hard shell hull... DriveWell.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)