Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,
I have just tried putting my Hobie Oasis on the Hullavator for the first time. According to Thule's specs, the Oasis should fit. However it seemed that I have to push the cradles quite far out to fit the Oasis in. The cradles are now sitting on the black plastic bit instead of the metal rail.

Has anyone had any experience in doing this? I am wondering if this is going to be stable.

Also, the kayak slides a little on the cradles, is that meant to be normal, or should it be a tight fit? Previously I have always been putting my kayak on the roof racks directly.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by laury11 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sorry I can't seem to get the photos to work, but if you right click it you can see it on a new tab. :?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hard to tell without pics. The older models of the Hullavator was for more narrow kayaks. They then came out with a new version which allowed for wider kayaks to be mounted. Don't know what year Hullavator you have????

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

islandspeed2001 wrote:
Hard to tell without pics. The older models of the Hullavator was for more narrow kayaks. They then came out with a new version which allowed for wider kayaks to be mounted. Don't know what year Hullavator you have????

Hi islandspeed, I assume my Hullavator is the later model since I've only just bought it.

If you right click on those bad links you can open the photos in a new page. I am not sure why the photos are not coming up. :?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure you put your pictures out on a (free) hosting service like http://www.photobucket.com to post them. See: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KayakingBob wrote:
Make sure you put your pictures out on a (free) hosting service like http://www.photobucket.com to post them. See: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574

Thanks Bob, I have revised the photos in the original post now! :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would put the cradles closer together. If you notice, the kayak is resting on the brackets that secures/slides the cradles. That can't be good having a round/hard hardware pushing against the kayak. Putting them closer together would force the kayak up and off that section of the Hullivator.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Flip the hull over and adjust the supports. Ideally you should store and transport the Oasis upside down on the gunwales.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two of the Sport models and I carry them upside down on the Hullavators. I have the Hullavators adjusted as far apart as they will go and it works fine. They don't seat perfectly but the kayaks won't get damaged this way.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lakejumper wrote:
I have two of the Sport models and I carry them upside down on the Hullavators. I have the Hullavators adjusted as far apart as they will go and it works fine. They don't seat perfectly but the kayaks won't get damaged this way.

Hi Lakejumper,
I actually had to loosen the bolts on the cradle to move it further out than it is supposed to go. They are seating on top of the "plastic end caps" on the base at the moment. I am not sure if you have similar experience?

When you fit your Sports on the Hullavator, is it a tight fit? Because no matter how much I tighten the straps, the kayak seem to move a little still?

Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Laury- yes I had to loosen the bolts as well. The kayaks will shift a little once you reposition the Hullavator on top of your car. I run the strap through the mirage drive hole so that the kayaks won't fly forward or back during an emergency stop. I have traveled over a thousand miles each way with no issues.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Laury,

My computer is very slow and my sent box in my email isn't working otherwise I would have responded already.

I just went in my basement and looked at my cradles and verified that yes, the cradles are on the black end caps. My dealer assembled and set it all up and I never gave it another thought.

This picture should show that mine is spaced apart very much like yours. The threaded bolt is hand tight and snug, no issues. Image

My dealer gave a pointer that has really helped keep the yak very secure without putting too much twist/flex stress on the cradle when driving at high rates of speed. When the yak is on the roof (I always transport it right side up/hull side down without issue), I secure the extra length on the straps around the cradles and cross bars snuggly and lash them tightly. This minimizes the any flex or twist stresses on the cradle's.

I have another set of footpacks, so I can use the Hullavator on my Honda Pilot. We went to the lower Fla. Keys in February. Driving at speeds over 80 mph on I-95 and it sat rock solid. Same on the VW, rock solid. I never think twice about stability. This system is engineered very well. In addition to lashing the extra strap length to the cradle/crossbars, I would suggest using bow/stern lines to secure to your front and rear bumper for additional security/stability, especially if you are driving any distance.

I solo more often than not. The grip handles on the Oasis are spaced very far apart for just one person to lift the Oasis onto the cradles. I added two strap handles, one behind the front seat, and one in front of the hatch in front of the rear seat. This affords me the ability to lift the beast by myself. You can see the black straps in this photo Image A word of caution if you put straps on. Make sure you use washers on the underside and topside of the straps to prevent the possibility of the hardware "pulling through".

I'm getting excited to get on the water. Fluke season just started here in NJ and the weather is starting to warm up. We have had an unusually cool May here. I hope some of this iformation is of some use to you.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lakejumper wrote:
Laury- yes I had to loosen the bolts as well. The kayaks will shift a little once you reposition the Hullavator on top of your car. I run the strap through the mirage drive hole so that the kayaks won't fly forward or back during an emergency stop. I have traveled over a thousand miles each way with no issues.

Hi Lakejumper,

That's a great idea! I will definitely try that. :)

Laury

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

65Strad wrote:
Hi Laury,

My computer is very slow and my sent box in my email isn't working otherwise I would have responded already.

I just went in my basement and looked at my cradles and verified that yes, the cradles are on the black end caps. My dealer assembled and set it all up and I never gave it another thought.

This picture should show that mine is spaced apart very much like yours. The threaded bolt is hand tight and snug, no issues. Image

My dealer gave a pointer that has really helped keep the yak very secure without putting too much twist/flex stress on the cradle when driving at high rates of speed. When the yak is on the roof (I always transport it right side up/hull side down without issue), I secure the extra length on the straps around the cradles and cross bars snuggly and lash them tightly. This minimizes the any flex or twist stresses on the cradle's.

I have another set of footpacks, so I can use the Hullavator on my Honda Pilot. We went to the lower Fla. Keys in February. Driving at speeds over 80 mph on I-95 and it sat rock solid. Same on the VW, rock solid. I never think twice about stability. This system is engineered very well. In addition to lashing the extra strap length to the cradle/crossbars, I would suggest using bow/stern lines to secure to your front and rear bumper for additional security/stability, especially if you are driving any distance.

I solo more often than not. The grip handles on the Oasis are spaced very far apart for just one person to lift the Oasis onto the cradles. I added two strap handles, one behind the front seat, and one in front of the hatch in front of the rear seat. This affords me the ability to lift the beast by myself. You can see the black straps in this photo Image A word of caution if you put straps on. Make sure you use washers on the underside and topside of the straps to prevent the possibility of the hardware "pulling through".

I'm getting excited to get on the water. Fluke season just started here in NJ and the weather is starting to warm up. We have had an unusually cool May here. I hope some of this iformation is of some use to you.

Hi 65Strad,

Thanks very much for getting back to me. It is good to know that the cradles hold together well on an Oasis even though it is seating on the end caps. Also a great tip from your dealer!

I will make sure I put washers on the handles as well!

Just one more question:
How do you adjust the top/ shorter cradle to make it closer to the kayak since the knobs are beneath the kayak upon loading?

Unlike you, I'm down in the southern hemisphere. It is actually getting cold now. So perhaps a good time to do some rigging :wink:

Thanks very much! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys total newbie here. Hullavator load capacity is 36kg and my Oasis is 42kg. Is this safe to load ?