Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My girlfriend and I are looking to sail our H16 somewhere near ocean city maryland. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place to do some catamaran camping? I read in an earlier post that you can no longer launch from Assateague Island, which is where we were planning to go. Never sailed in the ocean before either so I wanna make sure i plan appropriately before we make the trip. Probably wont be for a couple of months but any insight on some good places to go would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dante

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed from the national park on Assategue many many years ago. The campground was near an old boat ramp. It was a great place to sail. I would contact the NPS at the park directly to find out what current restrictions may be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I used to sail out of Assateague NP, too! It's been a long time, though. There are some launches up above Fenwick into the river(?). I think mostly kayakers and sup people use them now. You can also launch into the bay from the park on route 90, but you'll need beach wheels- there's no ramp there any more. I last sailed there about 3 years ago on my 14. If you're up for a bit of a drive, head down to Hatteras, NC! Plenty of beach and launch sites both ocean and sound side. Only problem is, thanks to the ecoterrorists, NPS requires a permit and fee for beach driving- even on the siound side.

Dvae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

North of Ocean City is Rehobeth Bay which is a great place they we sail on. There is a launch beach just for sail boats with a ramp and sandy shore.

Have fun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="Drewtheguy"]North of Ocean City is Rehobeth Bay which is a great place they we sail on. There is a launch beach just for sail boats with a ramp and sandy shore.

Hey Drewtheguy, where is this launch? I plan on sailing out of Rehobeth and Dewey this spring.

-Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Head south out of Dewey & immediately on the right you'll see Rehobeth sailing club & after that you'll enter "Delaware Seashore State Park". Second road on the right is the sailing beach. Sign even says "Sailing beach" on it. Can't miss it.

Sail #64567