Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Raising - Solo
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After many years racing yachts, I now have my dream boat - H16. Maybe not this H16 (really old but somewhat restored)... 'Bout to take it our for the first time. I'm the only sailor in the family. Not sure how much help my wife or kids will be with the set up. What's the best/easiest way to get the mast up? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mast Raising - Solo
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My trick is to tie a piece of line to the mast stand on the boat and then to the jib or main halyard... Step the mast and then tighten up and cleat off the halyard so you can move to the front of the boat...

This of course after a bit of wrestling to get the step pin in and all of that... But I assume you understand the basics, and you are just looking for solo stepping pointers?

Also when stepping the mast solo I take my trapeze lines and stretch them around the front corner casting. This keeps them from getting tangled on the rudders and helps with stability. You will also want to make sure your shrouds are laid out neatly inside the rudders.. It is very easy to get them tangled up on the boat/trailer...

Most won't have much trouble lifting a 16 mast assuming the step pin and link is installed properly... (don't forget to take the pin out once she is up)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
(don't forget to take the pin out once she is up)

And PUT IT BACK IN when you lower the mast! :o

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are going solo you might want to consider the solo righting kit. It really helps a lot...even at 265lbs I cannot pull the boat upright solo without it. But if you do, then don't forget to unhook the mast retention cable too before taking the mast back down. I do that about half the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I picked up the Murray's step pin, it really helped out keeping the mast in place. This was my 4-5th time stepping the mast and the easiest by far. Granted, by Hobie Mast Step Pin setup was bent and tweaked, Had to use the 14 slot for my 16. With a new Hobie Step Pin setup it would probably be good also.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ronholm,

If you tie the line to the bridle instead of the mast stand, it will make it much easier to connect the bridle to the forestay. The line holds the bridle up in perfect position. Another thing I did was to make a simple tripod to hold the mast up and off the track on the rear crossbar.

Sxrracer,

Are you referring to the mast step link from Murray that drops the mast right into the socket? That is what I use and it is great but must be completely removed for sailing.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yes, not sure why I said "Pin"!!!!!!!

Yes, you do remove it when in use. Very simple. I attached a section of Para cord to it and clipped the quick pin (cotter key) to the para cord. This way everything stays together. can clip the end of the cord with a D-Ring to the Tramp lacing to keep from dropping it when removing. Plus the cord is safety orange, if I forget to remove it then there is this bright orange cord up there to catch my eye like the red "Remove before flight" tags you see on planes!!!!!!!!!!!

Worth the money spent.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A trick i was shown recently is to tie a bit of shock cord to the mast link connector and down to the dolphin striker. This holds the link down so that if you capsize it does not get damaged when the boat is righted.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

waheed wrote:
A trick i was shown recently is to tie a bit of shock cord to the mast link connector and down to the dolphin striker. This holds the link down so that if you capsize it does not get damaged when the boat is righted.

Thats darn good idea! Mines all smashed and barely works anymore! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Thats darn good idea! Mines all smashed and barely works anymore!

I had to replace mine and thats when i was told this handy tip. I could not actually drop my mast until it was replaced.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it my imagination or did that link once have a coil spring to keep it retracted? My boat is an '85 and I have trouble remembering that far back. There are three things that go when you get old. The first is your memory. I don't remember the other two.

If you use the Murray link, it must be completely removed for sailing so the problem wouldn't exist.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Murray link is the cats meow!!! Super easy and strong. Mast did not feel like a wet noodle going up or coming down.