Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Speaking of dismasting, just did it this weekend for the first time. My son and I enjoying a windy day with our H14 on Lake Erie 20 knots from the South (no waves) with a few heavy gusts and SNAP! went the starboard shroud, down the mast goes and everything was fine, well we didnt get hurt and quickly gathered up our parts and broke out the two paddles!
Only problem was that South wind was blowing us right out of the harbor entrance. Even at my best and with my own Boy Scout (Small Boat Sailing Merit Badge Recipient) on board we were never gonna paddle that double canoe to shore. With my humblest regrets I flagged down a Jetskier for a tow back to the sand.... O'Well I've already relaced all the rigging on our big boat, an O'Day 37 so rerigging the little H14 wont be a problem.
Please see my other posts for some info on converting this H14 to a turbo, seems the Turbo is actually a little bigger???
thanks for reading and be safe~

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds wrote:
Actually, I had a little help - both times it happened.

A year later, the same bolt decided to pull out again. This time, I was by myself on a small lake, with most of the shoreline rocky. I spotted a patch of beach almost dead downwind from me, so I cleaned up the mess, stood up on the trampoline to provide some windage, and steered toward the beach. Unfortunately, the bolt had completely stripped out the aluminum plate embedded in the bow, so there was no way to restep the mast. Fortunately, the property owner was kind enough to tow me back to the launch area. I ended up epoxying the bolt in and thought I was set. No such luck.

In 2007 (at the North Americans in New York), I was leading the 1st race in 15+ kts when the same bolt pulled out again. It took a long time for me to get towed to shore (a lot of people were in trouble) and I missed the second race because of it. That probably cost me the championship.

I have since reinforced the the bows of my 14 under the deck lip so that the bridle attaches through the lip, like it does on the 16. This is the way new 14s are built.

Bottom line - dismasting is not the end of the world - especially on a 14.

Somewhat different, but does anyone have any pictures of a Bow tang reinforcement on an H14? I've tried tapping it, and no luck (didn't hold), ergo I think I'll have to cut the hull and create a new plate, but obviously don't really want to do any of that. Anyone know of a tutorial on replacing stripped bow tang plates? The 2 inside screws are still holding, but the 2 outside screws are toast, and don't really want to dismast as I generally sail alone.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Elchupanebre4 wrote:
Somewhat different, but does anyone have any pictures of a Bow tang reinforcement on an H14? I've tried tapping it, and no luck (didn't hold), ergo I think I'll have to cut the hull and create a new plate, but obviously don't really want to do any of that. Anyone know of a tutorial on replacing stripped bow tang plates? The 2 inside screws are still holding, but the 2 outside screws are toast, and don't really want to dismast as I generally sail alone.

Thanks

The easiest thing for you to do is convert to the newer-style forestay attachment - which is just the Hobie 16 bridle tang:

BEFORE YOU DRILL A NEW HOLE IN THE BACKING PLATE, SCREW DOWN ONE (TWO IS BETTER) OF THE OLD BOLTS TIGHT TO HOLD IT IN PLACE. If it comes loose, you're in for a lot more work. A lot more.

Drill the new bolt hole in the center of the 4-hole pattern from the old tang, tap and use Loc-Tite when you install the 5/16-18 bolt. Fill the old holes with Formula 27 or other polyester filler.

Done.