Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering how you secure a Kayak to the trailer, in the sense that no one would be able to steal the Kayak off the trailer. I live in Newark NJ and would have to keep the Trailer at a parking lot which charges me a monthly fee. I am a little worried that someone would see it and just be able to go there and either take it off the trailer or take the trailer itself. Does anyone have any recomendations?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Run a chain through the mirage drive hole and around the trailer. Lock it up with a good lock. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would that secure the trailer as well? I will have a street lamp post in the spot I will be parking at. Should I also use the chain around the lamp post?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you think people will pick up the whole package... why not? It can't hurt.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chain everything. If you can run the chain through the wheels or the trailer too all the better.

Some random Modification Pictures

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A little more expensive fix, but one a bolt cutter can't touch is to have a removable toung put on the trailer and remove it when in storage. It is usually used to shorten the big boats to fit in a household garage, but without a toung the thief couldn't tow it very easily... Just a thought

Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Along with running a chain/cable through the kayak/trailer, you might also consider a lock for the trailer hitch lock. However...... sad to say.... if they want it they will find a way to steal it :cry: Think you should find another place to store the kayak/trailer than is more secure than a open lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wish I had another option. This is unfortunately what sucks about living in the city without having a driveway and/or a garage. The open parking lot where I will be parking is the same lot that is used for the Federal Building in Newark, so the good thing is there is always security around. I don't think that someone would try to jack my truck, kayak, or trailer right in front of the Federal Building.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not to be flippant, but for long-term storage, jack the trailer up and take the tires with you. Chain through the Mirage drive hole and lock down the hitch. It sucks that you can't have toys now without someone else going after them.

A good friend lost his ATV and trailer in a grocery parking lot in a matter of a few minutes. The perps pulled up and he didn't have his hitch - locked to his receiver - locked to his trailer, and they just took it all and boogied.

If I'm not with my gear 100% of the time, I thread cables, locking everything to my truck bed if I have to make a stop.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My wife is tired of all my fishing and outdoor stuff all over our apartment so she agreed to let me rent a storage unit with drive up access. Her only condition is that I keep all my toys and gear in the storage unit to free up room in our place. It's going to be pricey but at least I know everything will be safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I go out of town overnight I use one of these alarm locks on a master cable. It's not going to fully stop the thief but it will be annoying enough and may draw someone to look over at your trailer to see why there is an alarm going off

Loc-R-Bar Alarm Lock

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a wise decision!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Even more important is to buy insurance. Mine cost me $100 a year. It covers my yak, trailer, Torqeedo and accessories plus has liability coverage thrown in.