Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

With my step link in place on the mast step base, right side up.. it will only pivot so far, before two small side tangs come in contact with either side of the groove in the step base. (The link was slightly bent and distorted when I got the boat, so I'm unsure of the exact proper shape). I did restore it to fit over the mast tang, and in between the base groove. But can anyone tell me if those tangs are to fit inside of the mast base groove also?? That would allow it to pivot much further forward. Otherwise (by careful measuring), it appears the mast will not be in the socket.. and something is going to bend or break or stretch while stepping the mast. The bottom holes are already elongated slightly. This link does not have the small cross brace welded to it, like some I have seen. Just the convoluted U shape. It actually looks like it would fit/work better if I put the U part up. It would then probably pivot far enough to get the mast were it belongs.. without anything bending or breaking.

Looking into the base, I can see where the tangs have cut slight groves, so it has apparently been forced before. And ALSO.. I can see a flat mark, which matches the square sharp edge of the U part, if the link is turned upside down. But it apparently doesn't have the right (and full) clearance either way!! Yeah I know.. grind off the tangs, put it on upright, step the mast, and go sailing! LOL

I've stepped a lot of times, but don't remember this link only going "so far".

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since several of you have read my post, I thought I'd add a update. Went sailing yesterday. With concerns over the link issues, I bent both tangs inward slightly, so they fit inside of the base groove. And with that the mast came up, and did need to be pulled backwards to fit into the socket. So I may straighten them out (as designed.. duh) and see how that works next time. I may also use a old trap handle to fabricate a temporary hand hold, tied to one of the cleats for lifting straight up if needed.

I figure if a 61 yo, and my older newbie female crew on the lead line can step one.. anybody can! LOL

Happy Sailing!
Yellow 81 H16 Tequila Sunrise
Lake Monroe Indiana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I am not mistaken, the link you have is the aftermarket one sold by Murray Marine. I just bought one this year and it works great. It must be removed completely for sailing because the tangs stick up and interfere with the mast turning. The advantage of it is that it causes the link to toggle back as you raise the mast and allow the mast to drop into the socket. You can look it up on their web site to compare with yours. There have been other topics on here that discuss the mast raising problem with the standard link

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will look at the one you suggest, but this one is stamped with the Hobie "H", and it rests below the mast when disconnected. The previous owner was not familiar with sailing, or boats, or Hobies... hence it being bent, used backwards, etc. I like to build things in my shop, so I may try to find a used mast base for evaluation purposes.. or I could just buy one I suppose! LOL

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry,

You are right. If it has the Hobie symbol it isn't the link I am referring to. If it is working correctly, you will have to pull the mast back to get it to toggle into the socket. That is normal. I used to raise the mast part way then give it a quick push up and stop for it to toggle, then raise it the rest of the way.

By the way, the Hobie link is marked "16" and "14" on the two sets of holes for depending which boat you are using it on.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hrtsailor wrote:
By the way, the Hobie link is marked "16" and "14" on the two sets of holes for depending which boat you are using it on.

And as far as I can tell, the 16 position is obsolete for modern boats. On my 2000, the pin starts to bend long before the mast is erect. The 14 hole looks like it lines up well (and I've read a similar observation here somewhere).

The 16 hole worked on my '78 though.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I ordered the Murray's step link. Stepped my mast alone today and it worked really well. Especially since I did my have any help this time.