Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "I've had several TIs"
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

Simple curiousity point here - It seems the more experienced on here
mention that they have "had several TIs". What happens to them ?
Do you burn them out, or are you collecting them ?

I love my 2012 TI but can't think of any reason to get another one :D

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The new (Ferrari) red looks tempting!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Boats are like cars, they have a limited warranty, in our case we like the Yukon Denali and we tend to travel a lot and wear them out. We are on our 3rd Denali now. Who would want to put an old scratched up boat on their brand new car, plus the colors shouldn't clash. Hobie kayaks are in high demand and everyone can't afford a new one. We have owned 7 Hobies now since 2007 (when we moved to Florida (right by the ocean)). In total we have around 3000 sailing miles on TI's now and are on our 3rd TI so apparently we use them about a thousand miles then sell them and buy a new one. Doing the math, if you go out every weekend and go 20 miles that's 1000 miles a yr. Last weekend I sailed from city island to Anna Maria island and back which was around 22 miles round trip ( I was trying to catch up with the Hobie Island club (because I arrived late because of trailer problems). This weekend I plan to launch at ft desoto and sail around Egmont key which will be around 20 miles total for the day. We plan to spend June at our key west place, where the dive sites are off shore, we easily go 30 miles a day 2-3 times a week down there (I would go out every day if I could). Keep in mind the water only goes down to about 70-75 deg in winter in kw, with air temps in the low 80's on nice days so we are out all year round.
Hey I'm not the only one some of the guys have multiple AI's and a TI, plus a fleet of other Hobies.
Bob

Here is my GPS track from last weekend (22 miles total). ( on the way back I took a short cut over the sand bar and sailed right thru 6 inches of water, you have to love those TI's :lol: )

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oceanmoves:
I probably should clarify that my TI's are not stock, I'm a tinkerer (to occupy my mind) and have a few minor mods on all my boats (nothing ever to the boat itself (hypocritic oath (just like doctors) :lol: ).
Here is my TI anchored off shore down by Islamadora, FL(in the Keys), where we recently spent a week there, we kept the boat moored off shore the whole week and went out sailing and snorkeling at least a couple times every day.

Keep in mind I have a boredom thresh hold of around 7 mph, If there is not enough wind I will fire up my motor and make my own wind (motor sailing). Currently I have the standard mainsail 90 sq ft, a 25 sq ft jib (used to be 40 sq ft but it's all torn up, and I have to keep cutting it smaller), and a 130 sq ft asymmetric spinnaker. Most of those sails are 3 yrs old now, almost totally worn out, thus the reason for me building all new sails (see below). (note: not the stock Hobie mainsail, Hobies sails are very well built, and last a very long time)

Actually some really good reading on sail efficiency can be found here ( http://smalltridesign.com/masts/rig-mast_options.html ). The TI's sails are type A (reference the article) and have an efficiency of around .85. I am in the process of re-fitting my entire boat with type E sails which have an efficiency of 1.9. Another great advantage is wing sails have very little healing (they don't try to push you over, so your AMA's don't bury as much in the water). I currently have everything designed, and am in the process of construction of all my new sails (I'm very excited). I have the 30 sq ft roto-furled jib wing sail nearly completed, and am beginning to construct my 130 sq ft rotofurled soft wing spinnaker as we speak (which will actually be more like a screacher). When done the boat will not look any different than the picture above, and won't take any longer to rig than currently.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very informative.

fusioneng - if Hobie are reading this & have any sense I think they should be trying to hire you on their design team :D

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my first TI from the first batch to make it to Hawaii and it was fine. But as Hobie found little problems and improved them I decided to sell my early model just out of warranty, and buy a new one. I got a very good deal on a last years model (2012) with most of the new changes, and the old TI held it's value well (only 4 used ones have sold on Maui) so it didn't cost me very much to upgrade to a new hardened boat and a new 2 year warranty. I'm happy, the guys I sold my old TI are happy. All good.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My AI and TI rigs are more along the lines of a type D sail rig. The sail fits over the mast by means of a luff pocket. The mast itself is round, which precludes it from being "fixed." The sail shifts on the luft pocket to match the wind.

I've yet to see a type A rig on any of the Island boats, although I can't say I'm familiar with the earliest ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
I bought my first TI from the first batch to make it to Hawaii and it was fine. But as Hobie found little problems and improved them I decided to sell my early model just out of warranty, and buy a new one. I got a very good deal on a last years model (2012) with most of the new changes, and the old TI held it's value well (only 4 used ones have sold on Maui) so it didn't cost me very much to upgrade to a new hardened boat and a new 2 year warranty. I'm happy, the guys I sold my old TI are happy. All good.
You told them about all the G-Flex, right? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
You told them about all the G-Flex, right? :wink:
You are confusing my boat with your boat! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't think so,.. I still use duct tape. :mrgreen: